no head light (Kato 2-8-2)

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
I did a test pull with my Kayo Mike the other day (results posted in n/zscale trains Kato 2-8-2). After the test run per a note from Biased turkey, I added a 2nd Kato 2-8-2 to make a small consist. I pulled about 20 cars when I noticed that the second Kato did not have any head light.:(
Well now I need to get some light on the Mike.
Any one ever have a light out? I know that they are a LED, so not sure what to look for- any ideas-
Thanks in advance

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Can't help you with the light problem, (I remove the lights from my locos) :) but if it's any consolation, the engineer of the second loco is merely following the rule book: other than on the lead loco, the headlights of other locos in the consist should be dark. And depending on the era you're modelling, all headlights may have been dark except for night operations.

Wayne

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
on the Kato Mikado, it's a small PCB that sits under the boiler weight and between the frame halves. If I remember correctly, It only has contacts on the top of the board. So you may want to make sure of 2 things.
1. Make sure the boiler weight is not shorting the LED or anything else on the PCB.
2. Make sure both small contacts are actually touching the frame halves.

If it appears to be installed correctly and you want to test it, just remove the board from the loco and touch a 9v battery to the contacts. If it doesn't light up with polarity in either direction, you've got a bad board or LED.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Hi Bones,
Thanks for the information.
Now if I can remember how to get the boiler off,:confused: so I can inspect what you pointed out.
Thanks again.

Bones

Apr 11, 2007
Lower Alabama
I can't find the links right now, but if you search google for DCC installs on this... There should be 2-3 that show how to take it apart.

That bad news is, the smoke box is one of the very last pieces you can removed from the body. My kind of luck.

If I remember correctly, there is no easy way to do it and requires removing your piston and valve assemblies to provide clearance so the smoke box can slide forward. That, of course, is after you completely remove all other pieces of the shell.
I have never worked on one with detail parts installed, so you'll need to address that before starting.

Things I do remember:
-Cab slides straight up, after being pulled slightly out on the sides.
-Main boiler should be gently pulled up slightly at the rear before the front, and be VERY CAREFUL not to brake the tiny tabs off the bottom of the front of the main boiler.
-The ladders on the pilot have tiny pins on the bottom and must be pushed slightly upward before being 'popped' forward to allow the pilot to slide off.
-If you remove the piston and valve assembly, I hope you're a religious person. You'll be doing a lot of praying and repenting to make up for the words required to get them back together. (and sometimes apart)

I didn't type this to discourage you. I just wanted to point out a few things to be aware of.

Ok, so I found a link which proves me wrong. Here you see him saying you can remove the smoke box at any time.
Wiring For DCC - N Kato Mikado

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Hi Bones,
Thanks for the info.
Yes I know that the smoke box is the last part to be removed.
I think the link that shows the disassamble instructions are in a link by Stickey? I am not sure but I have seen it somewhere.
The thing that grips me:evil: , is that I have this loco all detailed, weathered and the likes. Not sure how the hand rails will come loose from the front so I can start to take it apart. It has been some time I did the work on this unit, at that time I installed a MT coupler on the front. At that time I ended up with a small strip of copper-about 1/4 inch wide and 3/4 inch long and .005 thick. it fell out when I was moving the cylinders forward to release the smoke box. I never did figure out what or where this part went? I thought that it might have something to do with the coupler that came on the original. As far as I can recall :( (OLD AGE HERE) the light was working when I got it all back together.
Thanks again for the info.
It is back to the repair shop to see if I can see the light.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Well what do you know! I found out what I don't have any light on my Kato Mike. This is embarrassing:eek:ops: I did some detail work on this loco when I first got it. The original headlight was removed and replaced with a brass casting. There sure won't be any light coming out of a solid casting! This is what old age will bring- being very forgetfull.
Oh well- I did find out where the little brass/copper strip came from- it is a spring for the front pilot truck. Keeps pressure on the truck to hold it down on the rails. :-D