Next scenery project

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Tyson Rayles, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

This area was somewhat of a problem as there is only about 4" between the edge of the track to the backdrop. The area is 5 ft. long so I have a ways to go yet.

Attached Files:

• srf.jpg
      File size:
      82.4 KB
  2. Tyson Rayles

Here's a shot from the other angle.

Attached Files:

• srls.jpg
      File size:
      74.5 KB
  3. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

looks great tyson where did you get the trees :p rich
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Tyson, great effect as there is only 4" space behind, good use of the trees.

5. Tyson Rayles

Thanks guys! :) Rich the trees are polyfiber fill from Woodland Scenics. I spray the fiber with automotive primers (black, dk. brown and rust, 1 color per tree of course) then dip them in a bag of various shades of WS coarse ground foam. They are "planted" on toothpicks. I use auto primer because its cheap, dries flat and dries quick. I do touch-ups with cheap hairspray.
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

That's the beauty of modeling the eastern mountains. The real estate can rize sharply, and is covered by trees.
  7. Catt

Catt Guest

Hey Tyson,looking good buddy,wanna come up here and make my trees?:D
  8. Tyson Rayles

Pete I prefer foreground trees like you make, but as you know that can be quite time consuming! I use foreground trees where they stand alone or are somewhat scattered. For the other 1,500 or so I'll stick with this method so I have a CHANCE of getting the layout done. Catt just as soon as I get mine done I'll be there! :D
  9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looks like a cloud covered the sun in the second photo.
    Trees like that sure add to the depth.
    Nicely done friend.
  10. Tyson Rayles

:eek: Robin I had forgotten to turn the fill light on in that second photo! :eek: I'll change my membership status accordingly. :p
  11. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Trees, Trees........ My Kingdom for a tree!!

Oh for some trees like that! :cool: :) :cool:
  12. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Fantastic, Tyson!

Could you give a little more detail on how you made the trees? How thinly did you stretch out the material? How did you attach it to the toothpicks? Stuff like that...
  13. Tyson Rayles

Thanks Rory, I'll try to get something posted in the S&B forum soon.
  14. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

The trees I build for the modules take from 1 to 4 hours each to build(one of the pines took 8 hours to complete). The forest on the modules has grown steadily over a fifteen year period. Because I have only 24" depth of scene, on public display, I chose to "model the forest". For a layout, especially for background, I'd use the same technique you've used, and save myself tons of time.
  15. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Hmmm.... What about a senic overlook spot just off from the middle of that area. Just a little clearing, a couple looking over the valley... or a family with the kids pointing towards the rails. Could be just some guardrailing, or a stone wall, or some "cabling." Maybe even do it in Z scale (force the perspective thing). What'cha think??
  16. Tyson Rayles

Actually that is a great idea Sir Prize! I don't have room right there to do it, but when the scenery moves on to the next section there is a place in the corner that would be perfect for something like that I think. And I agree Z-scale would be the way to go. :cool: