New to the model train

scottad1116

Jul 28, 2004
Hi my name is scott and would like to know if anyone has any tips forme. Iam new at this. I am trying ot make a layout and eally not ot sure what to do. I am making this for myself and my kids to enjoy. Any tips or ideas for a layout please email me at scottad1116@aol.com.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Scott, if there is a hobby shop near you, Kalmbach (publishers of Model Railroader magazine) publish a number of books to help the newcomer get started. The ABC's of Model Railroading is still available, I think. They also publish a number of books on small track plans, scenery construction, and even some books on building structures. The books are all paper backs and cost less than $20.00 each. If you don't have a hobby shop near you you can order the books on line from Amazon I think.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Scott:
Read through this forum.
Don't believe everything you read.
Remember that in model railroading there is never just one way to do anything; the "best" way is the one that you can understand/get to work/find results with.
Don't start with something too exotic.

Scott, another suggestion: Go to your local public library and see if they have any books on model railroading. Chances are they will. You'll end up buying some books eventually, but early on, you might be better off checking out some books and learning what you can for free.

I definitely agree with the others, don't start with anything too exotic. Get something basic up and going, learn what elements you enjoy, then start challenging yourself with each new project. Try just one or two new things per project, and you'll see your skills improving without frustrating yourself too much.