New To Model Trains

openshot

Sep 27, 2006
st, kitts
Hi my name is Damien i am 16 soon to get my G1 and i would like to get into model trains. I can use my Dads old train set from when he was a kid i think the years are in the 70s they are old but they are keeped in good condishon (sorry if i miss spelled that). i will take pics later of them. i am thinking of making one of them train tabel things.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Welcome aboard. You will find this site very informative, and helpful. Never hesitate to ask any questions, as everyone here will is very friendly, and understanding. Many different skill levels on this site, from the very beginner to the seasoned pros. Its all just one big happy family

openshot

Sep 27, 2006
st, kitts
well there is one thing to ask. is where do you get the house's? or do you make them? if they sell them do they sell any trailers like in the show trailer park boys?

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
What scale are you modeling? There any many sites to find just about anything you need. Walthers.com is a good one, and just about anything you can think of is on ebay too

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Scale is the ratio between the model and the real thing. We often use "gauge" to mean the same, but that's really the distance between the rails.
3 most likesly scales or gauges are O, HO and N. O gauge is 1 1/4" between the rails; HO is 5/8" or 16.5mm; N is 9mm. O scale is 1/4"=1' or 1:48; HO is 3.5mm=1' (1:87.1) and N is 1:160 (not sure of the other).
Models of houses are for sale; also trailers. If you want to stretch your money, we have a forum on scratchbuilding (making things from raw materials). Look for "Robin at his best" to see what can be done with cardboard boxes.

NCMRailroad

Jul 29, 2006
openshot said:
Hi my name is Damien i am 16 soon to get my G1 and i would like to get into model trains. I can use my Dads old train set from when he was a kid i think the years are in the 70s they are old but they are keeped in good condishon (sorry if i miss spelled that). i will take pics later of them. i am thinking of making one of them train tabel things.
Welcome to the Gauge. Don't let the dream die!tooth1

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
:wave: Welcome to the Gauge Damien!!

HO is the most popular scale and I think has the most stuff available for modeling. Don't get me wrong, I love N, O, and G scales too but HO is my preferance. I am starting a N-Scale layout so n-scale is my next fvorite after HO.

Definetly check out Walthers, www.walthers.com for tons of items for all scales!!:thumb: :D :)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
In 1972, if the trains are plastic diesels, they will have either all wheel drive or just one truck will drive it and have a freewheeling truck picking up the power, but doing nothing to pull the train. If all wheels drive, it will be a good engine worth repairing. If it has only one powered truck, it is a toy sand pretty much useless. If you have steam engines, the best ones will be heavy die cast metal bodies. I'm presuming here that your dad did not have brass models.