New sighting

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by hi-f, Aug 22, 2003.

1. hi-f

hi-f New Member

I saw two units go by today on a container train thru Bellefontaine, Ohio, they were freshly painted in U.P. colors, but with "CEFX" below the cab windows and huge engine numbers. Who owns these?
  2. SOO < 1987 < WC

SOO < 1987 < WC New Member

CEFX is a leasing company(CIT Finance) so those engines might have used to belong to UP, but now are being leased by them or a different company.
  3. railohio

railohio Active Member

They are former Union Pacific units that were purchased by CIT for their lease fleet. They just haven't gotten around to relettering them yet.
  4. railohio

railohio Active Member

After a few minutes I realized I had seen these units before. Here's a shot of two of them in Deshler. If you think these look bad, there are some even more ugly ones running around on the I&O. :rolleyes:

5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I'm not sure they will be repainted. U. P. seems to be selling engines to leasing companies and then leasing them back. I don't remember the company or its reporting marks now, but there is a gp38 being used in switching in City of Industry here in So Cal that is marked just like those cefx units, but the U.P. paint is brand new.
  6. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

We have had a few of those out my way in service. It is amazing how well they polish up once they are washed by the new owners.