New sighting

hi-f

Jan 24, 2003
On the T&OC
Visit site
I saw two units go by today on a container train thru Bellefontaine, Ohio, they were freshly painted in U.P. colors, but with "CEFX" below the cab windows and huge engine numbers. Who owns these?

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
They are former Union Pacific units that were purchased by CIT for their lease fleet. They just haven't gotten around to relettering them yet.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
After a few minutes I realized I had seen these units before. Here's a shot of two of them in Deshler. If you think these look bad, there are some even more ugly ones running around on the I&O. :rolleyes:

CEFX2812DeshlerOH8-5-03.jpg

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Originally posted by Brian Schmidt
They are former Union Pacific units that were purchased by CIT for their lease fleet. They just haven't gotten around to relettering them yet.

I'm not sure they will be repainted. U. P. seems to be selling engines to leasing companies and then leasing them back. I don't remember the company or its reporting marks now, but there is a gp38 being used in switching in City of Industry here in So Cal that is marked just like those cefx units, but the U.P. paint is brand new.