New layout, decided to go with NO roadbed

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by alex_mrrkb, Sep 3, 2003.

1. alex_mrrkb

alex_mrrkb Member

Hi !

Just to keep you updated, the construction of my new layout (2x4 N scale) has begun !

After many many days of relexion, I decided to go with NO roadbed, for some reasons:

1- On my previous layout I used foamboard as roadbed, and it was WAY too high !
    2- The layout is build on a 5/8" plywood topped with a 1" blue styrofoam, so I don't really need any sound-deadening.
    3- With NO roadbed, I can still achieve the roadbed profile I wanted.
    4- I tried it, and the results are far more impressive than on my previous layout:

Please note that on this test picture I glued the track directly on wood, but on the layout it will be glued to styrofoam.
  2. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

I'm with you all the way on that Alex and your photo proves your point! :) :) :)

3. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner Member

Hey, that's what I'm doing! Although instead of foam on plywood, I have 2" of foam over a 1x2 frame, and the Atlas C55 track directly on the foam. I do have scraps of 1/8" plywood underneath each switch motor to act as a firm mounting surface tho.
  4. SD90

SD90 Active Member

It will sure save you alot of time!
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It sure looks better than I thought it would be Alexandre.
    I have done this in yards but never on the main line so will watch your progress with interest.