New Kid on the Block

kemet

Oct 3, 2006
NW Pennsylvania
Benchwork and switch machine
Recently retired...wife says I need a hobby...so here I am.
do to my weight limits I am planning on building my benchwork out of 1X3 and the
layout base out of 2"Extruded Foam panels. I am using Tru-Scale plain roadbed and
Peco Code 83 Streamline Turnouts with Atlas Code 83 Flextrack using DC power supplies.
My question this how do I attach the Tortois Switch machines to the underside of the foam
panels and will the trip pins be long enough.
This is probably the first of many questions I will have in the future.
So far after reading the many forum questions I.ve learn quite a lot so far..
Thanks

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi,

Welcome to The Gauge, and to the hobby...! :D

There are a couple of approaches to the Tortoise machines -

1) Carve a (tight fitting) hole in the foam and slide the machine in to underneath the roadbed. This approach was used by a guy at the local module club. As far as I know, he has had no problems with them shifting or coming unstuck - the modules are transported, and unpakced/packed every 4 to 6 weeks or so.

2) Glue a square of 1/4" ply to the bottom of the foam, and extend the throw wire through the foam. You will need to cut a sizable slot through the foam for the wire to move freely. If this is your chosen approach, I would suggest increasing the depth of your framing, or at least the facia, to hide/protect the Tortoise.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge.

If you glue luan doorskin to the bottom of the foam sheets, you won't add much weight, but you will then have some wood to use for fastening switch machines to the underside of the layout. You can use either Elmers white glue or the yellow carpenter's glue to laminate the door skin to the foam.

kemet

Oct 3, 2006
NW Pennsylvania
kemet

MasonJar said:
Hi,

Welcome to The Gauge, and to the hobby...! :D

There are a couple of approaches to the Tortoise machines -

1) Carve a (tight fitting) hole in the foam and slide the machine in to underneath the roadbed. This approach was used by a guy at the local module club. As far as I know, he has had no problems with them shifting or coming unstuck - the modules are transported, and unpakced/packed every 4 to 6 weeks or so.

2) Glue a square of 1/4" ply to the bottom of the foam, and extend the throw wire through the foam. You will need to cut a sizable slot through the foam for the wire to move freely. If this is your chosen approach, I would suggest increasing the depth of your framing, or at least the facia, to hide/protect the Tortoise.

Andrew

Thanks I never even thought about the idea of damaging the machine with such
a shallow frame.... I'm just in the planning stage now I just purchased one Tortoise
Machine and Peco Turnout plus a piece of foam and I am going to practice your
suggestion.
Thanks again
kemet

kemet

Oct 3, 2006
NW Pennsylvania
Russ Bellinis said:
Welcome to the Gauge.

If you glue luan doorskin to the bottom of the foam sheets, you won't add much weight, but you will then have some wood to use for fastening switch machines to the underside of the layout. You can use either Elmers white glue or the yellow carpenter's glue to laminate the door skin to the foam.

Thanks Russ we will also try this approach..Gosh I'm getting all sorts of great ideas
from all of you Thanks to all
Kemet

kemet

Oct 3, 2006
NW Pennsylvania
Ralph said:
I'm thinking a lot of folks will be envious of your situation! :)

Welcome to The Gauge!
Ralph

Hope I am answering correctly since I've never been in a forum before.

Penn Central eh I a New York Central Fan
kemet