new guy new idea

deeredriver

Aug 24, 2005
hi guys and any gals :wave:

im hoping to start my very first layout it will be in ho scale my room is 15 ft by 11ft with the door in the corner so i want to go around the outside of the wall layout with open space for the door
it will be a long term poject for me and my wife and my baby boy when he arives in jan when hes bigger of course lol
im not really sure on what im doing to be honest but i want to take my time and make sure i try to do it to the best of my ability as i can
i know i want a mountain or 2 in it with a big town and a couple of small ones around too
i want a coal mine
a couple of small town grain elevators
a big grain terminal
maybe a logging theme on one side of the mountain
i would really like some input from you guys
thank you nick

deeredriver

Aug 24, 2005
ok ill try and post a plan of room its empty room in basement

Attachments

• room (512 x 384).jpg
    room (512 x 384).jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 20

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
http://members.aol.com/PWhiteMR/index.html This guy has some good designs. You might be able to fit all of that stuff in but it would have to be, "butch" if that term would fit. The "Spare bedroom (11' 8" x 12' 6") switching layout," has a great design for corner door ways. I using several track plans off the website but with a lot of modifications to fit my space. You can also download the Atlas RTS program to help design the layout. Hope this helps.

deeredriver

Aug 24, 2005
ok thanks for the rapid replys guys ok the dorr is 32 inches wide and its 3 inches from the corner
im thinking about goin all around the 4 walls but leaving the gap for the door unless thats a bad idea i know this will be a long term project kepp us busy for a few years lol
thx guys

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
What equipment do you expect to run? What time period is this going to be set in? What sorts of operation do you want? When I design a layout, I like to have an idea of its function.

deeredriver

Aug 24, 2005
i would like it to be modern day kinda some operation and some continues running just somthing that we can build and enjoy as a family i know it might look like i have bitten off more than i can chew right now nick

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Modern - not a space saver. You'll need broad curves, say 30" radius, even for freight. The huge end loops you'll require will force the layout well away from the corner. It'll be more like an L along the left and top walls, with big "blobs" of benchwork in the corners that would need access holes because of their depth. Modern railroading in HO on a 15x11 L is going to be very cramped. Based on John Armstrong's principle of "square squares", (quick explanation: a square can hold a 90-degree double-track curve of your minimum mainline radius) accepting a duckunder, such as a bridge across the entrance, would effectively double your available space. :eek: :eek:

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not too long ago, I helped someone with a 9x15 HO layout that had to offer mainline running of big equipment. That plan relied heavily on double-decking. For anyone else, that's what I'd suggest: the L on the lower deck and a duckunder bridge on the upper. However, you have a special consideration that will prevent that: expecting children to be able to view and operate. Double-decking usually requires keeping the upper-deck track about 5 feet off the floor so the lower deck isn't too low.

Your plan seems ambitious for a first layout. :cool: