New F40!!!!!

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
OK, I have heard many requests for a new F40 and when my new BL-2 Mechanism showed up I just had to try something

Check out the pictures
abm.jpg

abl.sized.jpg

Now this project has little interest for me as it far too modern. I will be using this chassis under an F9. However I just had to plant the seed for someone to do this up right. You would end up with an F40 that could pull stumps and run incredibly slow. For all the guys crying about this locomotive, here it is. You don't even need to mill the frame to put a decoder in. This has got to be the easiest locomotive project I have run across.

Now the next question is what is taking LL so long to do this themselves!!!!!!!

C

Catt

Dan have you tried this on the rails? Cause if you have and if it worked you've just made me another project for the list.:eek:

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
I have wired in a decoder and have this chassis running under an F9 with no problems.

This LL F-40 shell fits perfectly on the chassis. All I had to do was remove a bump on the inside of the plastic Lifelike shell to have the shell fit flush at the chassis sill.

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Dan,
Can you be more specific, is this a life like loc or another brand with the BL-2 mechanism, I think I am not the only one in this discussion who need more info.
Paul

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
More specific OK

Many of you may not know that Lifelike redesigned almost all of their old chassis's. Gone are the springs and lead weights that used to be used in their plastic chassis.

The BL-2 is an example of this. These new drives have a split frame chassis and flywheels, along with a slow speed motor. So when you buy a new LL BL-2 this is what you will be getting. All I did was remove the BL-2 shell and slip on the old LL F40PH shell. I did this because on another board many people have been asking why no one is making a quality F40.

I suppose my title to the thread is throwing a curve ball in here I never counted on. There is no NEW F40. However if you purchase a new BL-2 chassis and slip on the old LL F40 PH shell you will have an F40 equal in perfomance to a Kato or Atlas to give you a NEW F40.

These BL-2's were selling cheap on ebay(<$30) because not many roads ran them. However this chassis is top notch and I have used them for repowering old FP9 shells and now the F40.

So my solution offers many the ability to have a great running F-40 if they don't mind swapping shells.

Now when you are hunting for these be sure you are not buying the old style mechanism. These are still available both on eBay and at hobby shops. So be warned an beware as it wouldn't surprise me to see both the old and new BL-2's sitting side by side in a display case.