new f3

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Matt Probst said:
Thanks guys... Not sure how I can attain the clarity of the pics though with the decreased file sizes. There are many other pics in this forum with a whole lotta better quality with the same file size I'm assuming...How do you guys do it? Maybe it's the software itself.. Any input is certainly appreciated!!!

Matt

Matt, I think the pics. that you are talking about are ones that are stored on the web somewhere and linked to with the "insert image" botton above the text field when posting. Image and file size limits don't apply to images posted this way since they aren't on The Gauges server. hth

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
OK Matt, I downloaded the software myself so that I can give you specific infomation. I have the newest version and don't want to confuse with features or procedures that are differerent.

You can install the software by double-clicking on the .exe file you downloaded. The first time you run it, you will have to register it on-line. It is easy and fast. I just entered the information and by the time I got to my email, the unlock code was waiting. Fear not, Serif is a reputable company and I've been using their software for well over ten years now and have been a beta tester for the last six years.

Anyway, once opened and running the steps are simple. Just go to file/open and navigate to the picture you want. If you want the whole picture fine, if not, you can use the crop tool to get rid of what you don't want. Select the crop tool (the funny looking box, third down on the left side toolbar. Drag a box over your picture and reposition and resize it to what you want, then left double-click inside the box.

In either case, go to image/image size. There a dialog box will come up and you can change the picture's physical size. If you have "maitain aspect ratio" checked, you can change one dimension and the other one will follow. I usually change the "width" to 640 pixels, and the hight will go automatically to 480 or smaller. If not, change the hight and the width will follow.

The second step is to go to file/export optimizer. A dialog box will come up with the picture file size above the picture. There is a slider to the left. Move that until the file size is less than 65K. Newer versions of this software allow you to change it in 1% increments, this slider is a bit course, but gets you there nonetheless. Once you're there, press "export" and save the picture by whatever name you want and wherever you want. The export dialog box is typical of most Windows apps.

Here is a picture I took about two years ago with a different camera. The original was almost 600K, and by resizing and optimizing, it is now 52K and doesn't look too much different on screen.

I hope this helps..

Attachments

• Robbs001r.jpg
    Robbs001r.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 21

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Well...not too bad I suppose! (Sorry bout the cinder block backdrop :) ) Thanks again for your expert advice and help...that's why I love this forum.
Don-The only question I have is every time I open the Serif software it asks me to register again and again before allowing it to become unlocked....?

Matt

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Matt Probst said:
Well...not too bad I suppose! (Sorry bout the cinder block backdrop :) ) Thanks again for your expert advice and help...that's why I love this forum.

Yeah, looking good,:thumb: glad to help.

Don-The only question I have is every time I open the Serif software it asks me to register again and again before allowing it to become unlocked....?
I just opened that version of PhotoPlus and it didn't ask me to register again. When I registered it yesterday, I entered the required info in the boxes, and then went to my email where I simply did a copy/paste of the unlock code. When it asked me if I wanted to receive those newsletters and offers, I just closed that dialog box. Are you using the same registration # they sent when you originally registered? If you are, you might try going after a new one. Once you have registered, go to help/registration wizard and it should tell you there that you are already registered. If not, I'd probably try to reinstall the software since it seems to work OK here. Let me know what happens, and I can follow up for you.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Nice pic :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It also depends on what you have the camera set(Dosen't it?) I have mine set on the mid range setting(Kodak LS443...Better). This might help also.
I also use MS Picture It. This program lets me save the pic for e-mail, and you don't loose that much in picture quality.
OK...I'll step down now....

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Thanks 88! My Kodak is a DX7630 and the features and options are pretty complex (for me...) I'm still in the infancy stages of learning this somewhat mind-boggling device. There are so many different ways to take pictures it's incredible. Learning the various settings, setting exposures,aperatures etc.... well I could spend a week straight with no food/drink/sleep, investigating all of it's capabilities and still not have it down pat! Trial and error by taking the same picture on various settings, and then trying to remember which setting I used for the shot I keep, is about the extent of my unorthodox methods so far! :D :D :D

Matt

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well Matt, you're not alone. Me, I keep my setting on "auto" most of the time and really don't fool around with "apature" and other manual settings. Both my digital camera and video camera have way, way too many features to make it easy for us casual users to appreciate or understand. If you are trying to do that, I wish you the best.:wave::wave:

BTW, I think you've got a good handle on it.:thumb::thumb: Did you get your Serif registration issue resolved yet? Their web site has been having problems most of yesterday, so if you can't get through, you'll have to try again later.

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hi Don! I re-installed and seems to be ok...........(today ;) )
This pic I took on "auto" this a.m. and fooled around w/some editing.

This is one of my 1st scratchbuilt structures...Named after our good friend Shamus in his honor.......

Matt

Attachments

• templar co. 1.jpg
    templar co. 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 20