New coumputer-(no photos)

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Hi out there,
I know this is not a coumpter place but, I was wondering if any one is using the new Vista program?
I just got a new computer with Vista, and can't seam to find a way to resize photos using the photo program they are using. Can't resize- so I can't post any photos on The Gauge.:cry:
I am a model railroad person,:thumb: not very good with the coumputer.
Thanks in advance.
hope to here from someone.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
I will speak to my father, since he has bought Vista Ultimate- he always comes right after a few colourful words and sayings such as Vist Ultimate Cr&p!

Vista wiped out all his work and he had to upgrade all his other software devices because they weren't compatible- I wish that Micrsoft would make these software packages more easier to use!

My first suggestion would be to look under "edit" or "picture" as these programs always have something like that, otherwise I suggest you get Irfran View as- to me- this is the easiest program for cropping and resizing photos, I battle with Nero.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
Thanks MadHatter,
Well I made a big jump from a Windows 98 system to Vista. Still working on how to make things work or where some things are hidden. There is a photo program in Vista. It has a place to do an attachment to a E mail address ( resizes for E mail) but I sure don't know how to get it to apply to The Gauge.
Hope someone will come to my rescue, as Vista does not come with a manual, just a users guide.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have been using Vista since about 2005 - it's called MAC OSX...! ;) :D

I know nothing about Vista, but if you have MS Office, the Picture Manager (assuming again that is is still the same) should have the option to resize.

The "pre-defined" size for email function may work in a pinch if it reduces the photo enough (both dimensions and file size). The trick is finding where the resulting photo is stored...

Sorry I cannot be any more help...

Andrew

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
woodone- I spoke with my father last night he says that Irfran View can be downloaded for free, so I suggest googleing it, as this is a great program.

Keep well

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
MadHatter said:
woodone- I spoke with my father last night he says that Irfran View can be downloaded for free, so I suggest googleing it, as this is a great program.

Keep well

There is a typo above. It is IrfanView, and MadHatter's dad is right; it is a fantastic program. Makes croping and resizing a piece of cake. Get it at http://www.irfanview.com/.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
MadHatter, Torpedo,
Thanks for the info. I will have a look see. Sure hate to go out and get a software program so I can do photos. I did have a good Digital Image Suite 9 program but, the tech's at Microsoft said it was not suported by Vista. Oh well it just $$. The trouble with that is, if I spend money on software, that is $$ I can't spend on railroad goodies.
Thanks again for the information.