New Chalenges.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Well, The whole family is now relocated to Hillsborough, North Carolina. I am officially housed, jobbed and Vehicled. The good news is I have half a basement to build a workshop in and half a bonus room to build a new layout in.

The move went as well as could be expected and most of my belongings arrrived in good time and good repair. I'm not sure if I could pick between the hassle of moving yourself and the hassle of hiring someone else to move you. But at least if you moved yourself, you would know where to go If you needed to punch someone. :D

My son likes his new school and has made a good friend right next door. My daughter misses preschool but enjoys the fact that she gets to be with mommy all day. My wife is still trying to digest the concept of not having to go to a full time job every day and is putting alot of effort into the house to bring it up to her standards. I figure we'll have everything unpacked by this time next year! ;) There are several other children on our street and everyone has been friendly and helpfull.

I gave the old layout to the local boys club before we moved. along with some unbuilt building kits and a few old locomotives and rolling stock. It was well recieved and when I visited a week later, they were already planning an addition. My new layout area is 4' x 20' I havent come up with a plan yet, but I want to incorporate a work area and strage into this layout. also, since it is going to be in one of our living spaces, it needs to have the look of finished furniture.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
So you are all off to a good start! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I wish you and your whole family lots of happiness in your new home.

It is a great thing to start from scratch for building up one's own model world! So keep us informed about your RR activities!

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
YakkoWarner said:
I gave the old layout to the local boys club before we moved. along with some unbuilt building kits and a few old locomotives and rolling stock. It was well recieved and when I visited a week later, they were already planning an addition.

Good for you Yakko!!!! That was very generous, and you get lots of good kharma points for doing it!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Sounds like everyone is getting settled in nicely. That's an interesting space you have to work with.

Val

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
YakkoWarner said:
it needs to have the look of finished furniture.

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGHH!!! I reccommend a nice french polished teak for the benchwork. :thumb: :) :cool:

Has anyone got the look of a finished layout, let alone one with a finished furniture look??? hehehehehe :eek:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Do you want book shelves, enclosed cabinets, or a combination of both? If you want book shelves, you can get "Ivar" unfinished pine modular shelves from IKEA at a 48" height. If your layout will be flat with minimal elevation changes, get some clear pine for the front and any side that is visible for facia boards. Use a router to make a nice joint at the corners and stain it to contrast with the book shelves, or to match whichever you lie better. You can do the same thing using Masonite if you need to have large elevation changes. Just paint it an earthtone color to either match or contrast with the color of the bookshelves.

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
<I>Has anyone got the look of a finished layout, let alone one with a finished furniture look??? hehehehehe </I>

The benchwork must be completed first, which dictates the final deminsions of the layout in a fairly rigid manner. The good part is that the wife remains happy. I have some plans for mission style bookshelves and cabinets but I'll look at the IKEA catalogue. (Good idea Russ)

Screwy, I am still adapting to North Carolina. I'm not used to the trees or the rain. SoCal gets approximately 9" of rain per year, we got 9" of rain last week :eek: On the other hand, I laugh whenever I hear someone complaining about the "traffic". I saw an ad in the paper for a beer festival in Durham next week, things are looking up.

Before I start on the layout, I have a few things to get out of the way. Paint the interior of the house. Remodel the master bathroom, remodel the kid's bathroom, add twice as much deck, finish the basement, build my workshop, replace all the light fixtures and door hardware, and somewhere in there, I guess I should unpack. :D I'm guessing the layout will not get started until next fall. until then, I'll set up a little loop, and build some structures.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
G`day Yakko,
nice to see you aal have settled in, or starting to. with your short list(HEHEHEHE) we`ll here about the start of your layout in about 2008, that is if your other half is any thing like mine, we mooved 7 yrs ago and I only managed to start mine 15 months ago, (one week on my job, three weeks on hers, and my/her list gets bigger,bigger, they say only the good die young, but what did I do to live a thousand years. It will take that long to get through the first page. have a good one... lots of luck to you and your family in your new home...

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
G`day,DA TRAINMIESTER,
We have a saying over here, (Dont go out in the wind, or you`ll be nakid.)(Because you`ll lose all your tickets,) but I still wish you & your`s all the best in you new home...Have a good one... Steve.

P.S. Like the line up, of the board,the head of the paint department is the best looking of them all.....