New Building

C

cgutzmer

Nice! Make those with the model builder software? If so, I assume you are gettingmore familiar with it :) Can you get more complex than that? Just after software limitations :)
Chris

RichBohlman

Railroad Card Modaler
Feb 7, 2004
Mississippi, USA
cgutzmer said:
Nice! Make those with the model builder software? If so, I assume you are gettingmore familiar with it :) Can you get more complex than that? Just after software limitations :)
Chris

NOPE! This is a building made by the same person who sent in the German Trains in this PARTS BIN section.

hobby-bob

Apr 1, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
1:300 scale buildings

Thanks again, Rich!

I've designed these buildings using a different though similar tool, MS Visio (in my own defense, I'd like to point out I started using Visio before it was purchased by Microsoft).

Visio is intended to be used for creating flowcharts & floorplan diagrams, but it didn't take me too long to realize that I could use it for modeling as well. Visio allows you to create shapes and save them as "stencils," which you then drag and drop onto drawings. It's pretty slick, although I'm sure the program Rich uses is better. However, because I bought it to use on a consulting project, its purchase price was tax-deductable.

I've used Visio to trace and repaint old Maty Modelarz models, becasue I'm not fond of either their paper or printing. I've also used it to modify (kitbash) Minibox (1:300) and JFS HO & N scale buildings.

One negative factor is file size; I've finished a nice factory complex, but I'm having trouble exporting it. When I work out the kinks, I'll send it on to Rich, who has been kind enough to post my models out here for me.

Happy holidays and good modeling!
Bob

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
Yep, some nice looking buildings.
Are they like the ones you see in some old sections of European cities with the buildings side by side, sharing common walls? The facades of each one are painted differently to make them more distinct.:)

hobby-bob

Apr 1, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
European Buildings

That's the look I was aiming for, both for aesthetic and practical reasons. The original intent is to model a generic European town/city. I want the buildings to be able to be strung together in blocks, and this is easier when the depth of the buildings are the same.

I intent to use Minibox sidewalks and streets to bring the whole thing together.

By the way, there's something I just have to share: while I love Minibox 1:300 scale models (they're fun and easy to assemble, and easy to kitbash), I have one pet peeve regarding their railroad tracks... their switches have switch machines! This works great if your prototype is Atlas!