need help with polish trnaslation, GPM Zuikaku

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
Hi All

Well I received my GPM zuikaku in the mail today. :eek:
around 5 days from Canada to Australia. not bad

As can only be expected opened it up and and almost fell over. this thing is huge. What have I gotten myself into, so I started to look for the instructions, oops. all I could find was this stuff that looked like someone had put the alphabet into the blender on high power. No offence intended to our polish friends.

Could someone please help me and tell me where I can get a copy of English instuctions.

Thank you very much in advance

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
Hi All

Well I received my GPM zuikaku in the mail today. :eek:
around 5 days from Canada to Australia. not bad

As can only be expected opened it up and and almost fell over. this thing is huge. What have I gotten myself into, so I started to look for the instructions, oops. all I could find was this stuff that looked like someone had put the alphabet into the blender on high power. No offence intended to our polish friends.

Could someone please help me and tell me where I can get a copy of English instuctions.

Thank you very much in advance

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Bernhard

I cant help ya, but thought I would welcome you to the forum. There are others out there in the forum who should be able to help you, you might want to either change this thread topic to "need help with polish trnaslation" or start another topic asking for help with that same topic name.

have a good day and welcome again, sorry I couldnt help,

Greg aka GW

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Bernhard

I cant help ya, but thought I would welcome you to the forum. There are others out there in the forum who should be able to help you, you might want to either change this thread topic to "need help with polish trnaslation" or start another topic asking for help with that same topic name.

have a good day and welcome again, sorry I couldnt help,

Greg aka GW

Mike Hinrichs

Feb 21, 2005
Hi

I was eaves-dropping on your thread about instructions in Polish and I thought I would drop in my two cent's worth.

One option that certainly costs less than having a professional translation service produce a translation of your instructions is to attempt to get a machine translation via the internet.

However, while there are several free machine translation engines available on the web, machine translation is still a very hit and miss prospect (as anyone who has tried it will probably attest to). The problem is that, unless you are just looking up simple nouns, things get really messy when the computer attempts to translate from one language to another (especially between languages that are not closely related such as Polish and English).

So, I want to give a caveat that, when using these engines, to take everything with a big grain of salt and use techniques like trying a couple of different tranlators on the same text, then comparing them or reverse translating something from English into the other language and then back again.

That said, I did a little snooping around and found one free Polish translator online. It is located at

http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4

Also, if your instructions come in German, French, or Russion as well as Polish (some of them do) try using this site

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Just to give an idea of how far astray machine (or even human) translation can go, I have attached a brief comparison of translation results of a brief text message originally posted in German from our friends at KartonBau.de

http://www.kartonbau.de/hmportal.php?sid=02a13ab3397521a6f6b1e9a1fb45e1a5

Finally, I am attaching a short bi-lingual gloosary of common card modelling terms (in Polish and English) that I got off the web and which comes from well-known card modeller, Steve Brown (Thanks Steve!)

Mike Hinrichs

Feb 21, 2005
Hi

I was eaves-dropping on your thread about instructions in Polish and I thought I would drop in my two cent's worth.

One option that certainly costs less than having a professional translation service produce a translation of your instructions is to attempt to get a machine translation via the internet.

However, while there are several free machine translation engines available on the web, machine translation is still a very hit and miss prospect (as anyone who has tried it will probably attest to). The problem is that, unless you are just looking up simple nouns, things get really messy when the computer attempts to translate from one language to another (especially between languages that are not closely related such as Polish and English).

So, I want to give a caveat that, when using these engines, to take everything with a big grain of salt and use techniques like trying a couple of different tranlators on the same text, then comparing them or reverse translating something from English into the other language and then back again.

That said, I did a little snooping around and found one free Polish translator online. It is located at

http://www.poltran.com/pl.php4

Also, if your instructions come in German, French, or Russion as well as Polish (some of them do) try using this site

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr

Just to give an idea of how far astray machine (or even human) translation can go, I have attached a brief comparison of translation results of a brief text message originally posted in German from our friends at KartonBau.de

http://www.kartonbau.de/hmportal.php?sid=02a13ab3397521a6f6b1e9a1fb45e1a5

Finally, I am attaching a short bi-lingual gloosary of common card modelling terms (in Polish and English) that I got off the web and which comes from well-known card modeller, Steve Brown (Thanks Steve!)

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Mike,

Thanks for the info and I am sure it will be used. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, I know you joined back in feb, but since this is your first posting, I thought I would welcome ya and tell ya we are glad to have ya here.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy Mike,

Thanks for the info and I am sure it will be used. I just wanted to welcome you to the forum, I know you joined back in feb, but since this is your first posting, I thought I would welcome ya and tell ya we are glad to have ya here.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW

Mike Hinrichs

Feb 21, 2005
Thanks for the kind welcome

Hi Greg et al.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am sorry for not formally introducing myself. I intend to post something in the introductions section soon.

Yes I have been lurking in the shadows since February and I hope to make a posting or two as time permits. This is a great site and I have found many interesting and educational items on it.

I am currently working on some re-scales of WWII era naval aircraft
(going from whatever to 1:250). I'm not a 'tech head' so my methods might seem crude to the initiated. Basically, I'm using MS paint to size my models to the appropriate scale. If the originals are in PDF, I first
convert them to bitmap and then just use the adjust to function in page set-up to get close to my final scale. I first adjust the percent by eyeball and get it close, then I do a beta-build. Next I whip out my handy fractional calipers and measure the precise wingspan of my beta. Then it's just a simple matter of comparing proportions to the prototype, calculating for scale and adjusting accordingly.

But I know there's gotta be a more direct way of 'sizing' to scale my images without actually producing a paper mock-up. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have MS Paint, Adobe 7.0, MS PictureIt, and MacroMedia Fireworks on my computer as well as a freeware PDF converter.

Thanks. I'll post further questions in a more appropriate section of the forum site.

Mike

Mike Hinrichs

Feb 21, 2005
Thanks for the kind welcome

Hi Greg et al.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am sorry for not formally introducing myself. I intend to post something in the introductions section soon.

Yes I have been lurking in the shadows since February and I hope to make a posting or two as time permits. This is a great site and I have found many interesting and educational items on it.

I am currently working on some re-scales of WWII era naval aircraft
(going from whatever to 1:250). I'm not a 'tech head' so my methods might seem crude to the initiated. Basically, I'm using MS paint to size my models to the appropriate scale. If the originals are in PDF, I first
convert them to bitmap and then just use the adjust to function in page set-up to get close to my final scale. I first adjust the percent by eyeball and get it close, then I do a beta-build. Next I whip out my handy fractional calipers and measure the precise wingspan of my beta. Then it's just a simple matter of comparing proportions to the prototype, calculating for scale and adjusting accordingly.

But I know there's gotta be a more direct way of 'sizing' to scale my images without actually producing a paper mock-up. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have MS Paint, Adobe 7.0, MS PictureIt, and MacroMedia Fireworks on my computer as well as a freeware PDF converter.

Thanks. I'll post further questions in a more appropriate section of the forum site.

Mike

pbhawkin

Apr 25, 2005
Mudgee, NSW, Australia
welcome

Bernhard,
Where in Australia are you?
I am in Mudgee NSW along with another keen paper ship modeller.
I also am very new to all this and have almost completed my second ship (Uruguayan cruiser) and have gone back to further enhance my first ship (V108).

Regards
Peter Hawkins

pbhawkin

Apr 25, 2005
Mudgee, NSW, Australia
welcome

Bernhard,
Where in Australia are you?
I am in Mudgee NSW along with another keen paper ship modeller.
I also am very new to all this and have almost completed my second ship (Uruguayan cruiser) and have gone back to further enhance my first ship (V108).

Regards
Peter Hawkins

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Downscaling aircraft models to 1:250? Another glutton for punishment. Welcome to the dark side.

Once you convert to bmp, use the image size function in your graphics package to make your scale conversion. When the parts pages are converted, use the canvas size function to increase the paper size to whatever you plan printing on (probably A4?) Cut-and-paste the parts from the other reduced image pages to the enlarged canvas. You don't say whether your Adobe 7 is Adobe Paintshop 7....that program allows you to set the new image size as a percentage of the original size, which makes it really easy. Just make sure you click the box that locks the horizontal and vertical sizes together....otherwise, you get some really wierd looking final products. If you are going from 1:33 to 1:250, set the percentage at 13. This does give you a little bit of error (the actual ratio is 13.2%), but the final image will be less than 2% off the exact dimensions....which in that scale is less than you introduce through cutting errors. You find the percentage by dividing the original scale by the final scale and multiplying by 100. Just keep in mind that if you are reducing the model size, the percentage has to be less than 100%; if enlarging, it has to be more than 100%. Many of the construction threads have information in them about scale changing I have some discussion in my USS Iowa thread (hang in there, guys....I finally have the pages printed out and will start building....soon. The string isn't dead yet.). If you have photoshop, you have what is probably the best bmp program around for image manipulation. If you don't, there are several good programs that can be freely downloaded. Look for the freeware version of Image Forge, Serif Photo Plus, or Gimp. If you know someone who frequently buys the British computer magazines with cover-disks, they may have the free version of Paint Shop Pro.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Downscaling aircraft models to 1:250? Another glutton for punishment. Welcome to the dark side.

Once you convert to bmp, use the image size function in your graphics package to make your scale conversion. When the parts pages are converted, use the canvas size function to increase the paper size to whatever you plan printing on (probably A4?) Cut-and-paste the parts from the other reduced image pages to the enlarged canvas. You don't say whether your Adobe 7 is Adobe Paintshop 7....that program allows you to set the new image size as a percentage of the original size, which makes it really easy. Just make sure you click the box that locks the horizontal and vertical sizes together....otherwise, you get some really wierd looking final products. If you are going from 1:33 to 1:250, set the percentage at 13. This does give you a little bit of error (the actual ratio is 13.2%), but the final image will be less than 2% off the exact dimensions....which in that scale is less than you introduce through cutting errors. You find the percentage by dividing the original scale by the final scale and multiplying by 100. Just keep in mind that if you are reducing the model size, the percentage has to be less than 100%; if enlarging, it has to be more than 100%. Many of the construction threads have information in them about scale changing I have some discussion in my USS Iowa thread (hang in there, guys....I finally have the pages printed out and will start building....soon. The string isn't dead yet.). If you have photoshop, you have what is probably the best bmp program around for image manipulation. If you don't, there are several good programs that can be freely downloaded. Look for the freeware version of Image Forge, Serif Photo Plus, or Gimp. If you know someone who frequently buys the British computer magazines with cover-disks, they may have the free version of Paint Shop Pro.

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
Hi pbhawkin

good to hear from an fellow modeller on this side of the big colourfull ball.
I live in Melbourne.
I am still to complete my first model but for some reason the wont come out correct on the printer. I have a Pixma ip1000. Dont even ask me what the system is. (old as the hills) But I think its the System that is the cause of my greif. I dont know if it is possible but can a slowed up system cause distortion??? Theres an idea for a new thread maybe

Catch ya later

Bernhard L

Aug 4, 2005
Hi pbhawkin

good to hear from an fellow modeller on this side of the big colourfull ball.
I live in Melbourne.
I am still to complete my first model but for some reason the wont come out correct on the printer. I have a Pixma ip1000. Dont even ask me what the system is. (old as the hills) But I think its the System that is the cause of my greif. I dont know if it is possible but can a slowed up system cause distortion??? Theres an idea for a new thread maybe

Catch ya later

R

rickstef

Wow,

someone bring me back to earth

Holy Grail?

now i really feel special

Rick

R

rickstef

Wow,

someone bring me back to earth