Need help on Lighting & power for structures

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
I read what threads I could find on this subject, but most of it deals with technical data such as amps, volts, etc. Call me "Simple Simon" or whatever but please just tell me how ya'll are lighting and powering your structures. I noticed on the back of my Tech MRC 280 Train Controller that there is just one fixed AC outlet for accessories. Is this all I need? And from your age old wisdom, what do you use to light and power your structiures? Is there a book on the subject?

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my layout in the beginning ... but found an easy solution. I purchased some of those cheap train set transformers from train shows, etc. I then connect the transformer to connector strips from Radio Shack ... and use it as the main strip for buildings. The first pictrure shows some of the transformers I have ... and the second is the strip to feed the buildings. In the second photo, I have the main feed from the Transformer (Number 1) and then the feed to the buildings (Number 2). I hope this helps (and that you got the pictures!).

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
Here is the photo of the stip used from the trasnformers in my layouy. There are two strips from Radiuo shack, for each side of the line. On top is the line from the transformers (#1) and on the lowser half (#2) are connectors for lights, etc, in the buildings. I have four of these under my table, and each go to a seperate small transformer. (I was unable to upload the photo earlier, because it was too large ... sorry!) I hope this helps.

Attachments

• model rr Electrical #2.jpg
    model rr Electrical #2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 70

XavierJ123

Dec 17, 2004
Lexington, Kentucky
Roger:
So what kind of wire and lights do you use from this #2 feed to light your structures. And have you experimented with different color light bulbs? What do you prefer?

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
Xavier ... I use many types of lights, mostly wheat bulbs ... and basically speaker wire to go from the Radio Shack Power Strips to the liights. I use all colors, but find that basic white lights up interiors, and I use color on walls, etc, to give the room color. My last house, however, has three lights ... white, red and green. (my wife asked why one room only had red ligfhts!!!). I connected them in parallel, then to the wire and on to the connection strips.

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
I purchased the wheat lights at hobby shops ... I don't think Radio Shack has them ... in fact, Radio Shack has very little in the electronic stuff they used to carry. Local Hobby Shops are the best. You can also get them on line at various model train outlets. Good luck, and let me know how it works for you and your layout.