Need help on engine maintainance

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Kalmbach has put out a few good books (one steam, one diesel) over the past few years on maintaining your engines in good shape. You can also find a number of articles in the back issues of MR if you look (try the index of magazines at www.trains.com).

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
You should also be able to do a search right here and find lots of tips on engine repair and maintenance. Sounds like yours are in need of a bit of cleaning and lubrication.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You also need to find out who manufactured your various engines. Each manufacturer puts their engines together differently, especially steam engines.
even with diesels, the bodys just clip on in some cases, in some cases screws through the bottom of the chassis hold the body, and in other cases, the body slips over the chassis then the coupler pocket is slid into place, and finally a screw mounting the coupler holds everything together. Usually you will have to remove the body to get to gear boxes for cleaning and lubing.

Yes the track is clean, I made a test track on my work bench (It's clean also). All of my engines or diesels. I understand I have to use a plastic friendly oil, remove the old oil, and add a little bit of oil, have I missed something. I will try with an engine that I have sitting on the shelf first.

Thanks all.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
The fact that some engines have lights that go on but don't move says you have power to the engine. If the motor is straining but won't turn, you probably have a mechanical problem and cleaning would be the first step. If you're hearing noises, the same may be true with those engines. If it were me, I'd take off the shell and try to run the engine and see what the motor does, you may be able to turn it with your finges and see if it will free up. The old oil has probably gotten hard and sticky and needs to be cleaned out and a sparing bit of new oil added. An inspection of the gears should also determine if you have a stripped gear or gears not making contact.

Are we talking steam or diesel engines?

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
gauge

What gauge are we talking about? I had an N loco that wouldn't move. After disassembly, I found 1 (one) grain of ballast in the gears. Removed that and smooth as can be. Strange, 1 grain of sand.

Lynn