Need basic anti warpage advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyj36

Nov 14, 2004
Oklahoma city Oklahoma
I plan to glue down all my formers to the keel plate . But "not" glue the slots where the go together. I read somewhere that helps prevent warpage. But what about where the keel plates sections meet? Should they be solidly mounted together? We're talking waterline model with typycal multi piece keel plate and formers.

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Hi,

first you should lay down the keel plat on a (really!) flat surface, adjust the parts to lie perfectly in line (check with a ruler, see Oregon thread) and then glue them together.

Check again if the plate is straight and weigh down all the parts until the glue is dry (do not! use water based or white glue - use the smelly one...).

After that, assemble the keel in pretty much the same manner.

Then, put the formers onto the keel, apply glue to the area where the keel meets the keel plate (not to the formers) and glue the keel to the keel plate.

Constantly check for proper alignment until glue is dry. Be careful not! to glue the formers at this point.

When the glue is dry, remove all formers and then glue them on piece by piece, adjusting each one for right angle and alignment with the others.

When all are one, let dry under pressure for at least a day.

This is only one way to do this. The most important facts are:

* Glue together all multi-part pieces first. Make sure they are perfectly aligned so that any warping can't originate from them

* Always work on a really flat surface (glass plate). Your workbench usually isn't flat!

* Never user water-based glue for the skeleton

* Whenever possible weigh down the parts after they are glued on.

And, never forget to wish yourself luck before you start.

regards,
Michael

DN

Jun 12, 2004
New York
www.digitalnavy.com
What I've discovered is that it is not so much not gluing the slots as keeping them wide that helps. It makes sense to me - tight slots introduce "bad" stresses in the elements. So I keep them wide and loose and glue them. Of course, everything what Michael says holds true.

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
Info on building frame for ship models but good for all frames.

Bumped, for proprietary reasons, do not "Bump" old threads

Subnuke

Status
Not open for further replies.