Need American 4-4-0 Advice

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by jrhall60, Nov 26, 2005.

1. jrhall60

jrhall60 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am putting a small layout together and wanted to know if anyone had a recommendation for a nice American old-time 4-4-0. I tried a Bachmann, but found the quality to be a little wanting. I'm new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

:wave: Jeff
  2. siderod

siderod Member

What scale?
    Model Power just released an N-scale American 4-4-0, and while not as civil-war-looking as the Bachmann version, it's still a perfectly good, nice running locomotive.

If your into HO, i can't help ya...
  3. Marxed

Marxed Member

Marx had a nice set you might like, the Well's Fargo set ;)

4. jrhall60

jrhall60 New Member

Currently I'm leaning toward HO, but would prefer N if I think my eyes can handle it. I only have a 4 by 6 ft. space to work with and would like to do a post civil war western logging layout.
  5. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

In ho I got a Rivarossi 4-4-0 that runs very well. Most Mantua steam engines run very well, you might look for a Mantua General. I think the IHC 4-4-0s will run good, but theirs are more modern like Yosemite Valley Railroad in the 1920's rather than 19th century.
  6. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

I am doing an 1880-1900 layout in N Scale.
    For N, you are limited to Bachmann or Model Power.

I have 4 of the Bachmann units, they are not bad, an pull prototypically, they only handle about 3-4 cars on my 2.5% grade.