Need 4x8 N scale plans!

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by hemiadda2d, Sep 19, 2003.

1. hemiadda2d

hemiadda2d Member

Folks, my local club, Sherman Hill Model RR Club, in Cheyenne, WY, is about to get ideas to build a 4x8 for club use. Train shows, conventions, etc. We have a sturdy 4x8' skelton frame, legs, and such already salvaged from previous layouts. My buddy Mike and I will build it,a nd we want something that will showcase the virtues of N versus HO, and not be a spaghetti bowl. Prototype doesn't much matter, as the layout will be featuring generic Western US scenery.
    What I need are links to websites that have some 4x8' plans in N.
    I have my own home layout, the BN High Prairie Sub, based in Nothern Idaho.
    This layout will likely not be DCC, so ease of wiring is a must.
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I'm going to repeat a suggestion I've made before: why not build a 4x8 HO plan with N gauge track, using N gauge spacing? You'll get a very roomy plan. Maybe the HO Railroad That Grows ?
    Check out Thortrains's site -- I think he produces track plans like mad.
  3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi hemiadda2d
    Here's an HO plan of mine that fitted into a 10' by 5' space. Should be easy to make an 8' by 4' in N-scale from it. Okay, it's a logging layout, but it doesn't have to be.

Attached Files:

4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I'm going to 2nd David's suggestion here...especially if you're building this as a comparison between the two scales!
    Doing an HO plan in N scale would give you very broad curves, & long sidings, lending itself perfectly to large locomotives, modern freight &/or passenger operations. There would also be a huge scenery-to-track ratio...plenty of room for big structures, & big scenery!:cool: