"N"tique E8s

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Ray Marinaccio, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I finally finished these after 5 years of putting them off.
    They're old Atlas/Rivarrossis that I modified to represent PC #s 4060 and 4068 by filling in the lower headlight and the third portholes on each side.
    They run well enough to pull the "Dewey Express" but I plan to repower them someday.

Attached Files:

2. Ray Marinaccio

A side view of #4060.

Attached Files:

3. Ray Marinaccio

On the layout.

Attached Files:

4. looks good ray
  5. OwenCPR

OwenCPR Member

Awesome job. I have one of these old girls in B&O colours that I want to repaint to CPR. Did you change the trucks to get rid of those awful pickup shoes? Mine never ran well out of the box!
  6. Ray Marinaccio

7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Those are beauties Ray!
  8. Ray Marinaccio

Thanks Ralph.
    I'm finishing up a few N scale PC F units. I'll post photos when they're done.
  9. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

Ray, your PC locos look pretty good.

Thanks for posting that site on early Atlas N-locos. I got started in N-scale back in the sixties and still have several Atlas steam locos.

One is a special offering from Ted's Engine House in NJ that is a repainted 0-8-0 in blue for the B&O.

When it came to running qualities their 4-6-2 Pacific was a workhorse. I once pulled 38 cars on my little coffee table 2' X 4' layout with folded dogbone design. Those plastic traction rings gave fantastic pulling power.
  10. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

looks great ray, excellent job :thumb: :thumb:
  11. Ray Marinaccio

Thanks Dan and Matt.
    I was amazed when find that site. There's a lot of information about those early N scale locos.
  12. Dan Vincent

Dan Vincent Member

Considering all the fine locos we have available today, in retrospect those old Atlas locos from the '60 were pretty much cutting edge at the time. Except for way oversized wheel flanges and a tad more speed than we needed, details were pretty nice for such small items.

The Atlas Pacific and Mikado had very fine piping details and great pulling power. One of the reasons I haven't yet gone to smaller rail is because I still can pull out one of these little gem antiques and run them around the track.

Con-Cor was another fine line of locos and cars, especially their PA-1 made by Kato.

When Kadee came along with their super-fine freight cars it raised the bar again for N-scale.

It's nice to have been with a scale since the beginning and to see all the changes over the years. I could have bought a used car back then with the money I recently spent on two sets of Erie FT A/B units from Intermountain but that's inflation for you.
  13. Doug Gosha

Doug Gosha New Member

Thank you for the kind words re my site you guys. Ray, if your E8s are having traction problems, please have a look at the "Model specific issues" page on my site concerning this issue.

Briefly, the traction tires can become hard with age, the tires can slip on the wheels, the metal part of the wheels can slip on the insulators, and the insulators can slip on the axles. When all of these are corrected, a single E8 should have no problem pulling six (or more) passenger cars. I know that mine can pull 20+ freight cars.

You are also correct that, if your locos do not have the extra pickups on the front truck, they are relatively early releases as Atlas/Rivarossi added these sometime in 1968. The earliest ones, of course, had a circlip to hold the rear truck on instead of the later copper keeper plate.

Have fun with these wonderful old engines and the PC units look great, Ray.

14. Ray Marinaccio

Welcome to The Gauge Doug.
    Thanks for getting all that info onto one site and the compliment.
    The tires on the E8s are just starting to get dried out. I'll have to change them.
    Most of my N scale trains are 1970s vintage. I enjoy rebuilding them and bringing them back to life.
    I have a pair of the C-liners and an E8b unit someone had spliced together waiting for motors and a GP40 I'm working on.