N or Z

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by roch, Jan 3, 2008.

1. roch

roch Member

Which is smaller? I work with "n" and never even heard of "z" till I jioned this site. :eek:

2. spyder62

spyder62 New Member

Z is smaler N scale is 1/160 were as Z is 1/220
    I do kits in both scales and Z does keep me on my toes as the design d]needs to be right on for it all to fit and look right.
  3. roch

roch Member

I will have to check out "z" some day. I am having a tough time with "n" but I am creative and love this hobby.
    I ended up glueing and nailing my track down. Nails just did not cut it.

4. ozzman

ozzman New Member

Z is about 70% of the size of N. If you're having trouble with the small size of N....

It was launched by Marklin in 1972 and for a long time there were mainly European (and especially German) models, but in recent years a number of US manufacturuers have started to make US outline models of locos, cars and structures. One of the best known is the Micro Trains Line.
  5. ozzman

ozzman New Member

I forgot to say that the track gauge is 6.5 mm, which is about a quarter of an inch. Some larger scale modellers use Z scale track for N or HO narrow gauge.
  6. bill937ca

bill937ca Member

7. roch

roch Member

Thank you,
    I learn something new every day.

8. roch

roch Member

I forgot to mention the reason I have been having probs with N-scale is because of my poor eyesite. Would anyony like to make a donation to the Roch needs new glasses foundation?

That was a joke. :mrgreen:,