My Zephyr and Lenz deco dont get along

MarcO

Nov 10, 2007
SF Bay Area, Ca USA
Ok I finally got my zephyr in the mail (nice, worth every penny). set it up on my 4x8 N-Unitrack -

I have an Atlas #49364 SD-50 which came with a Lenz LE062XF decoder installed. The train runs fine, lights and all. Problem is, whenever i try to program it using the program track I get the "d nd" error. Zef manual says that this means the there is an open circuit on the programing track but there is none. I tried OPS too but it did nothing just blinked at me.

Same error when i try to read a CV as well.

The program track works with my MRC decoder so Im a bit at a loss. Is it possible the lenz decorder is bad if it runs fine and has the stock address (3)?

MarcO

Nov 10, 2007
SF Bay Area, Ca USA
well - Lenz told me that I need to email Atlas, but they said that if I lay a 100ohm resistor across the prog track that should do it. I only had a 27ohm and it did get rid of the error, but it didnt reprogram the decorder.

At least now it acts like it works! Anybody have another idea????

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
MarcO,

Sorry you aren't getting the answer you need. I have a Zephyr, but no Lenz decoders (although one was in my plans...!). This sounds very similar to the issues that the Zephyr had/has with the BLI sound-equipped locos. IIRC, the solution was as you describe - to add resistance across the programming track.

You might try two more sources - the Yahoo Digitrax group, and Tony's Train Exchange. I believe that Tony's has a device that you can install permanently on your track to take care of this and other similar situations.

Andrew

MarcO

Nov 10, 2007
SF Bay Area, Ca USA
Mason thanks for your help. I went from 27ohms to 123ohms and it progies fine now. Seems strange that the error went away at 27ohms but it didnt prog until i upped the resistance but w/e.