my wife has a plan

old trackman

Apr 4, 2003
Sturgis SD.
Visit site
My wife says if I put paneling in the upstairs porch and replace two windows, and texture the ceiling I could put my future layout in that room. That also includes the trim. I plan on building two L shaped counters and they will be 6 Ft. one way and 8 FT. the other way. My train can be next to the kitchen and don't have to go outside to enjoy them. I realize all the work I must do before I can even build my layout, but it will be nice eventually. My question to all you guys who already have your layout is, can I have a nice setup and run more than one train? Can anyone mail me or post some kind of plan I could go by? Thanks.

old trackman

Apr 4, 2003
Sturgis SD.
Visit site
Oops I almost forgot to tell you it will be N- Gauge. I want to run two or more trains at once and want a double bridge. I have a roundhouse. i want some passenger cars and the usual deisel with box cars. Please help with some kind of track plan. When the wife gets what she wants, I get what I want.

Hi Henry,
Can you create a drawing of the area, including doors, windows, your L-shapes, etc.? Dimensions would help, too. Just use your Paint program for a rough sketch, doesn't need to be very detailed. How high do you want your bottom level, and do you want inclines/mountains? Are the bridges to connect the two L-shapes?
Maybe you could post your sketch in the Track Planning section.
There are many layout ideas in some inexpensive layout books at your LHS. :) :) :)

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Henry.
Whenever your wife makes a suggestion that falls in your lap, grab it.

My wife got tired if me bitching about my old layout and suggested I take it down and build a new one. I did and am now working on a layout over twice as big as the old one. Now every time she walks by, she glances at it with a kind of regret look but doesn't say anything and I just keep happily running trains on my double track and once in a while do some landscaping or more building.

old trackman

Apr 4, 2003
Sturgis SD.
Visit site
I suppose I better think about remodeling the porch so I can have what I want. Actually we have been wondering where I could set up track and this is the perfect place. I know it will be awhile, but it will happen. I have a woodshop with everything I need. I've been doing alot to the whole house so this is just one more project. Maybe I could set up a small oval just to watch my trains go round and round untill I get ready.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Henry. That is what I did. Once I got the benchwork done and the cover on, I promptly layed my first main line and I was tickled pink to have a complete circle to run my trains on. Then I eventually got the second main line finished and I was in heaven. After that I alternated between doing landscaping and installing the switching yard and am still working on the landscaping. I still have to ballast the tracks but am in no hurry as long as I can run my trains.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Since you really don't say much about width it is difficult to asses what you can do with your space; but if you can pull of some reversing loops with 16 inch curves, so about 40 inches across, you can have a wonderful layout in the size you propose.