My revised scenery thread

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Kevinkrey, Aug 20, 2008.

1. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

How you make that gray/brown hill is basically this:

1. Paint the silhouette of the hill a medium grayish brown
    2. Using a long, flat, stiff bristle brush take some regular brown and jab the hill in the areas where there are dark brown tree twigs, holding the brush upside down at a 45* angle the the backdrop It should make a scruffy "fan" shape. do this with half a dozen mixed shades of brown, yellow and gray until you have that stipply looking hillside.
    3. Using a flat brush, add a rich medium green for the foregound trees, then using foam from an Athearn box cut into little triangles, add a lighter green over most of the tree, then finally yellow/green highlighting what would be the tops of the tree.
  2. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

C'mon people! I have seen the work everybody on this site is capable of and I know there are more of you than Miles who can put in a word or two, I made this thread to help myself get ideas and and learn from you guys. Lets hear what you got to say.
  3. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I'm hardly one in a position to critique anything as I'm pretty new at this myself.

I really like this scene though. It's coming along nicely Kevin. I am going to have to try out some of those trees myself. Just a little bit more depth and pow! I'd call it done. :thumb:
  4. Kevinkrey

Kevinkrey Member

I tried placing smaller trees in the back for depth, but I think the other way might work better. I guess that teaches me not to break the general rules of scenery, one of which, is that smaller trees stay in the front.
  5. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

I just wanted to say that I love your new avatar- sorry to go off topic.
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery