My Pictures

daboonk

Dec 12, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
i am not sure if we have baby ruth chocolate bars, i just like this box car, if you are the person who was looking for the dimensions earlyer im sorry i didn't get back to you sooner, i will get them on here today for sure

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Nice, but umm....isn't that a 36' boxcar? I love the idea that somehow a baby ruth 36' boxcar somehow made it long enough to be pulled by a modern diesel.

daboonk

Dec 12, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
well you see, i dont really care what I pull with my engines, I am in highschool and have no money so i just run what ever looks good to me without following what ever regulations mosrt people go by:confused:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
There ya go! The right way to do model railroading is to do it the way you enjoy it.
By the way, I've always liked bridge shots!
Thanks for sharing the pics!
Ralph

daboonk

Dec 12, 2004
New Brunswick, Canada
oh so here is how you build a bridge, i used masionite and pine for wood

First rip some 3/4 by 3/4 pine into quarters on a table saw if you own one, this will give you some small pieces roughtly 1/4 by 1/4, a bit less but it works

then cut some stips 3/4 by 1/8, then to 1/4 by 1/8, these ar for the braces along the middle, you will need about 16 of these at about 3 inches each

the bottom is masonite, the dimensions i used for a double track bridge are 24" by 5"

i built each section of bracing speratle, you could also but it in 2 pices instead of for like i did for the brige the train is on.

for the bottom of each section you will need some 1/4 by 1/4 at 12", 4 in total

for the tops 1/4 by 1/4 by 8", 4 of these also

now for the verticals in each section, 1/4 by 1/4 by 2 1/4, 20 of these

for the major outside angle pieces on each selction 1/4 by 1/4 by 3 1/2 , 8 of these

now the minor angle pices in between the verticals, 1/8 by 1/4 by 3" like i mentioned above

now for the cross pices along the top of the bridge running horazontal, 1/4 by 1/4 by 4 1/2, 10 of these lined up with the vertical sections

it would be best if you draw this out on graph paper first, this one is not to scale but it is close, to assemble i used claps and glue, to cut the angle pieces i used a sander, trial and error till they fit in, you can build this and paint it in about 3 hours, it would be easier if you built 2 pices for the sides instead of 4 so it will line up better, so intead of 4 12" pieces you can use 2 24" ones, if you have any questions or want some more pics let me know, i could label a picture if you would like me to.

CN1

May 6, 2003
daboonk:

Excellent pictures. I like your CN locomotives; I’m a CN fan too. :D

You're in high school and you're already good a scratch-building bridges, way to go. :thumb: :thumb:

You can run anything you want on your layout. That’s the whole point isn’t?

Have fun. :) :p

Can’t wait to see more of your layout :wave:

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
After reading this thread, I still believe that the hobby is in good hands. Great modeling and free spirit with a total enjoyment of your hobby. I applaud you daboonk for your modeling and sharing it with your dad.

Greg

SteamerFan

Sep 3, 2004
Hey didn't say it was wrong to put the old time car on a modern, just different. I'm a firm beliver in model what you want, looks like you've got a lot of good stuff running there.

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
there is always some real reason to be running an older car......the baby ruth car was being delivered to a museum or it was being hauled to be torched....scrap metal dealers love old cars.
always some realistic reason
i run what i like and how ilike...DD40 somes times does switching duties on my layout lol

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Just for general info, the railroads received extra revenue for selling advertising on box cars in the early part of the 1900's. That is why you will see the beer cars, Baby Ruth cars and baking soda cars. In the 1920's the ICC ruled that the only products that could legally be advertised on the side of a car was the actual product being hauled in the car. The only "bill board" reefers to continue into the 1960's or 1970's era were the privately owned or leased cars of the meat packers. Those cars went away when the meat packers shifted to trucks for transport of meat products.