My new plan.

Daniel Finn

Aug 25, 2004
UK
www.djfroadshows.djworld.org.uk
Hi,

I am planning on building a much large 00 gauge layout than i have currently.

It will be situated in my loft and will be in a space approx 8 ft by 8ft all the way around with a 2ft width. I will sit in the middle and control the trains.

alos one side will have an extra foot of width to add extra space for my main fiddle yard.

I would like 2 or even 3 separately controlled lines if it is possible inn the space I have and I would like the tracks to cross and then cross back to add extra fun to the track.

if someone could draw up a few designs for me then when I fond some free planning software I wll do a final few plans and get you guys on here to help me with them.

thanks

Daniel

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Daniel,

That sounds great, but your description comes across as quite vague to someone that cannot actually see the space you have.

Perhaps you could show us a drawing of what you have thought of first, and then we could make some comments?

Daniel Finn

Aug 25, 2004
UK
Hi,

Well i went up my loft the other day and it seems i have overestimated the space I have. I live in a new house so there are beams everywhere in the loft.

at most I have 6ft by 8 ft but I think i am going to have to have 4.5 - 5ft by 7ft to give me more space. This size is for fiddle yard and main layout.

so lefts say its 5ft by 7 ft

I need the following

- 2 lines (maybe 3 if possible) separately controllable
- I would like 3 - 4 engine sidings and about 6 freight and rail sidings.
- my main fiddle yard must be in the centre of the layout to maximise use of space and contain as may of the above sidings as possible. this fiddle yard should have access to both lines (via a crossing maybe?)

I am starting school next week and my final gcse year will push me hard so I may not be able to find time for the trains but I will have a look again in october to see what can be done.

I need to board the loft floor down to transferr all the junk to the sides so i can access space for my main layout

thanks

Daniel

Daniel Finn

Aug 25, 2004
UK
erm wel I like the traditional loop kind but I am nowthinking that if I want to do a lot fo switching and shorteer runs to coal yards etc could I have say a almost full loop at one end of the straight there is a fiddle yard then en exit curve of 180 degrees then a long straight with crossings and maybe a psare siging for wagons then a final 90 degree curve and then maybe a 2ft straight to end the line then trains reverse back to fiddle yard.

if that makes sense

If i could have a design for each type then I will decide

I will od a drawing of it now

Daniel

Daniel Finn

Aug 25, 2004
UK
Hi,

ok here are 2 designs

i like the 2nd one better but need to find the best shunting yard design so each line has access too every siding in thenmina shunting area.

train design 1.jpg

train%20design%203.jpg

Daniel

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Daniel Finn said:
- 2 lines (maybe 3 if possible) separately controllable
- I would like 3 - 4 engine sidings and about 6 freight and rail sidings.
- my main fiddle yard must be in the centre of the layout to maximise use of space and contain as may of the above sidings as possible. this fiddle yard should have access to both lines (via a crossing maybe?)

That is an awful lot to ask, in that space, using that scale. Remember, if you are going to have two mainlines around the edge, it doesn't leave much room for sidings (6 of them) when you take into account the space required for all the turnouts to get to then, and still keep it all inside the track oval. You may only get room for 2 -3 short 4 wheels freight cars on the sidings.

And good luck with school this year too. :thumb:

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
If anyone is getting the red "X", then "right click" the X and click "show picture"

Daniel, now I have seen those layout plans, I would check the length of the turnouts you intend to use, and add the lengths up. I doubt you wil fit them all into the area you have. let alone have any sidings attached to them. e.g. on the "U shaped" layout, you have a length of 8 turnouts down the right hand side, and then add the radius for your curve at the top. Not enough room if you only have 7 ft. And the sidings in the middle. Turnouts do NOT have the curved leg at 45 degrees!! :eek:

Looks like it's back to the drawing board for you!! :p :cool:

Daniel Finn

Aug 25, 2004
UK
Hi,

yes unfortunately I cannot find any free software for drawing 00 gauge layouts so i have just done a quick sketch.

Yes these are just very rough drawings and i think the best thing for me to do is first get my loft readdy and the booads put down
then get all my track and actually plan it with the track. then i can buy the final boards and fit it down.

Daniel

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Agreed

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Woodie: there is no way you'll fit that trackplan in 4.5 x 7.

here are a few 4x6 layouts (mostly ovals) that might be of more interest, expanding them to a 4x7 basically means adding a straight to each long side

this one has a small yard (though you have to use the main to switch the yard) and 4 sidings. It uses 18" curves at atlas #4 turnouts.

ho3minia4a.gif

this is a variant on the above plan, with more sidings, including an interchange or terminal yard:

ho3minia4b.gif

this uses the atlas 15" curve, limiting you to trolleys, short steamers (0-4-0, 0-6-0), and switcher deisels like the SW9

hpoor4ca.gif

this its an Atlas 4x7 plan:

10014.jpg

Daniel Finn

Aug 25, 2004
UK
Hi,

Well I have a 5ft by 7ft space to play with.

can someone design me a layout with as much of the following in that space and cutting down on the sidings if need be.

the U shape layout is preferable as I can take a nick out of the board so I have more space to sit whiilst operating.

Daniel

Daniel