My First Lay Out Design

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Hey guys, here is my first lay out drawn with Xtrk. Its freelance as i thought that would be the best idea so it would meet my needs/wants. There are a few little quirks in the trackwork im sure you will notice them, i will perfect them. I just want you guys to get the general idea. So go ahead take a look at it and tell me what you think, dont be afraid to speak out about suggestions. Thanks, guys:).

Attachments

• My Layout.jpg
    My Layout.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 343

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Looks good for a first draft ;)

Only thing I would worry about is being able to reach everything. I assume this is going to be an island / table arragement so you'd have access all the way around, but it could still be difficult to get to the middle. I had two 4x8 tables in an L similar to the way your diagram is and I had a bit of trouble getting to the area where your passing siding is.

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
You hit the nail right on the head. That was my main concern as well, being able to reach across the table. So far thats my main concern, but as you mentioned I do have the option of it being in the middle of a room not flush with any walls, so that may be a plus in giving me better acess in those hard to reach spots. Good thinking, hopefully ill get some more input.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
OnTrack,

I think even if you were to keep this in the center of the room, the area I marked in red will be inaccessable; I can only reach about 30" on a good day.

What period are you planning on modeling? Any ideas as to what industries you wish to serve? Any location or railroad in mind?

Just a few questions to help you along your journey.

Attachments

• My Layout-rev.jpg
    My Layout-rev.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 330

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
-Rioja, im shooting for present times, and im interested on all sorts of industries, unsure about the locaton, as for the railroad most likely CSX.

-Canadian, im sure i would be able to reach all around, but rioja has a good point as well, it would prolly be stressful at times, especially when doing work that requires a lot of time in that specific place with scenery and such. I guess ill have to see how it goes.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'm not sure what your operating plan is, but with a slight revision, you could have a turning loop, and with a further slight revision, another, so that you could reverse trains moving in either direction.
The first minor change would be to extend the line with the two dead-end sidings so that it joins with the inner main line (in the area where you have what appears to be a passing siding). You could still retain the two sidings. This would reverse the train, allowing it to run back into staging, rather than backing in.
The other minor change would be to include a switch off the inner loop, right near the upper edge where the extension joins the larger part of the layout. That track could then cross the track that presently leads to the two dead-end sidings, and then rejoin the mainline at a point between the passing siding and the place where the track from staging joins the inner loop. This would give you a second place to reverse a train, either to undo a reverse done on the first loop, or as an additional option. Because neither of these changes removes any of the other track, you wouldn't have to use these turning loops unless you needed to. The reason I would opt for two is that my very first layout, which was basically an oval with a small yard in the centre, had an elevated track around the outer perimeter that allowed me to turn a train, but I was unable to turn it back to its original direction unless I backed it around the loop. A second loop, added latter, provided this option, which made operations much more versatile.

Wayne

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Good idea Doc. how does this look, notice the lower left how i changed it to where the train has the ability to go back the other direction. it that still considered a reversing loop? or does it specifially have to be a "loop", either way has the same effect. What do you think?

Viper- I thought of doing that as well,its a good idea im going to try to incorporate it some how.

Thanks Guys.

Attachments

• ReviseD FInal.jpg
    ReviseD FInal.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 320

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Thanks, and this is for you viper.:)

although its very close to the edge, ill make it work.

Attachments

• SWOOP.jpg
    SWOOP.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 317

OnTrack

Sep 24, 2006
Amelia, ohio
Yeah, your right Truck Lover,Thanks. And every one else who helped, it looks really nice. I cant wait to buy my track and get it started, once i have made progress i will either update this thread or make a new one. Thanks again guys.

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Wow your going to get tired of this setup very quick. Guys start to think about point to point layouts rather than the kiddo style table top layouts.

Its too hard to bite my lip here guys but its becoming a joke here on how many guys build table top ping pong layouts.

Lets get an idea of your layout room size and get a hand with planning this.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
It does look much better now with the connection at the bottom. I'd almost rather have the yard be in that lower loop than where it is, and move the loop further out toward the edge. Does look nice though

BeReal - some people like to have the option of switching/continuous, so they can do either or depending on the mood. You do have a point though, and even have me considering a p2p

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
gottaBreal said:
Wow your going to get tired of this setup very quick. Guys start to think about point to point layouts rather than the kiddo style table top layouts.

Its too hard to bite my lip here guys but its becoming a joke here on how many guys build table top ping pong layouts.

Lets get an idea of your layout room size and get a hand with planning this.

hye, i think that continous oval has potential. While i think this layout can use much more revision, a well planned and sceniced layout can be made to have continous running without problems. On my layout i use tall buildings and highway bridges to block out the other side of the layout, so that it lookse like a seperate scene. In only one place is there an issue with seeing the other side, but thats ok, it makes it easier to switch over there.

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Listen with the correct setup on a Point to point you should still be able to sit back and let the trains roll. U can have connected staging points off both ends of the layout and be able to run straight threw the hidden yards and come out the other side of the world.

More over If you have 2 locos you can purely run one train to the End point at the West then turn the track power off (if your useing DC) and come back to the other point of the layout THE EAST and park the train and grab another set of rolling stock and take it back WEST.

Then you can have passenger trains just going EAST WEST and stoping at your stations to pick up the peeps then off layout to go further WEST. Next why not grab a Frieght train and run a slow train to each town picking up a box car and dropping of a tank car.?

As you can see point to point has lots more to offer the model railroader they just dont know it. Just keep the end points off the viewed area of your layout. so u can park full trains and pretend they keep going.

The only thing is table top layouts arent the best to get this done. Around the wall are key and dont have to be HUGE and lets you have nice long mainlines so your train isnt going around the XMAS tree all day.

My 2 cents and its bed time. Dont forget im just trying to help you guys plan ahead and get past this i dont like switch crap. Give it a try and youll enjoy it. maybe even have a buddy over and run some trians togather and work around each other. Lots oh fun.

later.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If you have enough room that a single run over the visible mainline is a satisfying run for one scheduled train, then point-to-point operation (whether or not the layout actually is) can work well. If the mainline isn't so long, you may not be able to do that.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
While my mainline is not really that long, it is a point-to-point(-to-point), with provision for run-through oprerations. I enjoy switching operations, of which there's plenty, so the run-through is almost never used. However, many people, even some who have experienced operations, still prefer to just "run trains". As noted, even a loop can be run as a point-to-point.

Wayne

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
I hear ya Doc Im just trying to help push these guys to the NEXT level in layout design. Table top layouts just look like that a tabletop. When you model on a cookie cutter style layout and have a point ;) to the layout things will just flow alot better. I would rather have a U shaped layout around the walls of a 10x10 room then a 4x8 ping pong table layout.

I guess some guys just wanna wake up to XMAS operations everyday and watch the little tiny trains run around and around.

my 2 cents