My "Box"

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I really don't have a "train room" (sniff :cry: ), but I do have a loving wife who tolerates my in progress model work sitting on top of one of the hutches in the dining room. This is OK 'til the kids get wind of what Dadoo is doing up on the hutch. For a safer place to store all the dangerous paints and tools, as well as the delicate modeling in progress (not to mention the upcoming football season and the need to keep it "at the ready" :thumb: ), I built this workshop in an old Army footlocker.

Attachments

• box.JPG
    box.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 232

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Under the two nested trays of paints, glues and tools, there is a larger tray that holds scratchbuilding and wiring supplies. These are kept organized by a baking tin and a variety of car kit box halves.

Attachments

• box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 231

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Remove that tray to find kits to be built, scenery items and another tray that holds paints and tools currently being used on whatever work is being done at the time. In this way, I don't have to search out again and again the necessary tools or supplies while the work is in progress.

Attachments

• box3.JPG
    box3.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 225

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Finally, that tray is removed to reveal a removable storage box for any projects in progress. All this is mounted on casters so that the box can be rolled out of the way when not in use. Since most of my best modeling is done during a NASCAR race or a football game, I now have a place to rest my Coke and 'tater chips whilst working on my latest 'bash. Maybe now I'll finish the Hudson decoder install as well....sigh

Attachments

• box4.JPG
    box4.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 229

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
TrainClown said:
Cool set up ya got there fer yerself! Now the kids will be riding yer modeling cart 'round the house instead. ;)

TrainClown :D

Ah, yes. Right now it's serving as a soapbox for my 8-year-old daughter's budding singing career :rolleyes: and my 3-year-old son asks to see my "futocker".

F

Fred_M

You're so well organized I don't see how you get any modelling done. :D Fred

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
I've got every thing in my computer room and it just keeps getting smaller! I went to bed the other night and left my TV on, my wife came in and turned it off and then tripped and fell in the dark. I think my computer room may be getting Bigger. :(

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
The only problem I've had in practice is that the paint tray is a bit heavy to be lifted out with finger tips. I think I'll split up the paints between the two trays and see how that works.If you ever got a peek at my layout, you'd know that this was a model and that the perceived sense of order is a mirage :p Finding my Xacto knife follows Murphy's Law, the ease of which is directly related to the sharpness of the blade and it's potential for peircing flesh. :thumb:

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
eeeeek!!! :eek:

the contents of my box is.... um.... over there.... and there... **points** and over... ummm.... there.... **points over there somewhere** and some of it is, I think....somewhere under there. And that other bit is umm.... now where did I put the damn thing! :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Crispy crinkles, Doc, you done made me think about how much is sunk into the contents :cry: It's amazing how much you can accumulate over 30 years of modelin'.

Woodie...you NEED a "box" :p

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Due to the downright incandescent heat of Sacramento summers, and the location of my layout and workbench in an un-air-conditioned, un-insulated garage, I normally don't model much in summer months except late at night. However, I have received permission from the management (my lovely wife) to bring a limited amount of model-railroad stuff into the house, on the condition that I keep the space clean between sessions.

In order to keep this new living-room-table modeling space in order, I made use of a pleasant-looking wooden case, formerly used to hold a portable filmstrip projector/record player (the 1950's equivalent of a laptop-based training presentation) that I originally intended to hold a tiny portable layout.

It is big enough to hold a couple large, flat boxes containing my most frequently-used modeling tools, an assortment of stripwood and styrene bits, and a few jars of paint, with enough room on one side to hold a few HO-sized car kit boxes. This is compact enough to hide away easily, but complete enough that I don't have to run out to the garage very often. To protect the table surface I have a 24"x36" plastic cutting board that I keep stashed behind a window curtain.

Particularly messy or stinky operations (power tools, spray painting, etc.) are still confined to the garage, but things like kit assembly, brush-painting and scratchbuilding can now be done within my air-conditioned living room in the company of my lovely bride.

Domestic tranquility is thus maintained, heatstroke is avoided, and I have enjoyed getting lots of layout work done. My wife likes trains but dislikes clutter, and feels more involved in the hobby because she can see the work that I'm doing. All around, it's a good deal!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
jetrock said:
Domestic tranquility is thus maintained, heatstroke is avoided, and I have enjoyed getting lots of layout work done. My wife likes trains but dislikes clutter, and feels more involved in the hobby because she can see the work that I'm doing. All around, it's a good deal!

Every reason why I did it and two more, ages 8 and 3 ;) All I need now is non-toxic, unscented Dullcote and I'll be in Nirvana.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
shaygetz said:
Every reason why I did it and two more, ages 8 and 3 ;) All I need now is non-toxic, unscented Dullcote and I'll be in Nirvana.

My two more reasons are a pair of tuxedo cats who dislike having their comfortable perches disrupted by tiny plastic bits! Fortunately I have a garage for the stinky and messy operations...