Multi-Floor layout?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LoudMusic, Sep 26, 2006.

1. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Does anyone know of a multi-floor layout? One which the track connects two floors of a building through a really long helix or grade? That's roughly 9' of elevation - could be interesting :) I've not been able to find anything searching here or Google.
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

If you type helix in the search option you may be happy to see the results.
    Good Luck:thumb:
  3. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Well, that's a lot of multi-level, but I've not found one that goes between two floors.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I think one of the clubs in the Kitchener area has a barn full of track that goes on several floors.
  5. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

The San Leandro (CA) Model RR club has this type of set up, check the internet for them.
  6. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Ah, awesome, so there's at least rumor that such a design is in operation. But there's shockingly limited information about either group on the web. Do either of you happen to know how they got between floors? Huge helix would seem to be the most logical. Or simply don't have them connect at all and use cartridges.
  7. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

The HO layout at the San Diego Model Railroad museum does. It's quite impressive and I believe they do it without a helix. I'd post you a link but my search engine is not working at the moment. They just opened the second floor for guests recently.
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It is the La Mesa club modeling Tehachapie, and they don't use a helix except the Tehachapie Loop which of couse is a prototype version of a helix.
  9. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

<sarcasm>You'd think for a club in San Diego they could build a decent sized yard</sarcasm>

Thanks for the info guys!
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Very roughly... a 30" radius requires about 100" of track per loop. If you go up 4" per loop (4% grade - which is quite steep) you need 3 loops per foot. If you assume that you have to go up 9 feet - that's 27 loops or 2700" of track. That's 225 feet of track or 3 3/4 scale miles inside the helix... No wonder you do not see many like that...!

11. galt904

galt904 Member

That would be the Waterloo Region Model Railroad Club. Good one to visit, hope they get more scenery done soon.
  12. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Ha ha ha, yeup.

Thanks for the link! They don't really have good pictures or descriptions, but they do talk about it being multi-floored and having huge helicies.