MRC Prodigy Express for a dummy

Crox

Jan 21, 2007
Okotoks, AB, Canada
I can't work this all out! I have two Bachmann GE 70 tonners and an Athearn AC4400 plug n play with a Digitrax DH123 decoder and whilst they'll all run on loco address 03, I can't programme the road number so that they are not all moving at once!! I know there is debate on here about the cheap bachmanns but mine run fine and are good for switching duties.

I'm talking HO scale here and I use a program track for programming the locos. What am I doing wrong?:cry: I enter 'program/program track/loco address (road number) and it has no effect - they respond to 03 only.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Crox said:
I can't work this all out! I have two Bachmann GE 70 tonners and an Athearn AC4400 plug n play with a Digitrax DH123 decoder and whilst they'll all run on loco address 03, I can't programme the road number so that they are not all moving at once!! I know there is debate on here about the cheap bachmanns but mine run fine and are good for switching duties.

I'm talking HO scale here and I use a program track for programming the locos. What am I doing wrong?:cry: I enter 'program/program track/loco address (road number) and it has no effect - they respond to 03 only.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

thanks
i am really puzzled at this:confused:. i bought a couple of the Bachmann DCC engines for my dad, and was able to program them on the mainline, NO PROBLEM! you might have already done this but, only give those engines a 2 digit address. when you program them, when it first says "address" put in 0003, then hit enter, next it will again ask for an address, try 0037(for example), then just keep hitting enter till you get out of the programing. it should work, always has for me:thumb:. i ONLY use sound decoders, but the digitrax decoder should work the same way as i mentioned:thumb:. i hope this has helped.:D -Deano

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
UP SD40-2 said:
when you program them, when it first says "address" put in 0003, then hit enter, next it will again ask for an address, try 0037(for example), then just keep hitting enter till you get out of the programing. it should work, always has for me:thumb:. i ONLY use sound decoders, but the digitrax decoder should work the same way as i mentioned:thumb:. i hope this has helped.:D -Deano
I do believe that you are trying to change the address when it first prompts address, instead leave it at 0003, hit enter, then it will prompt you for address again, this is where you put in the new address. The system has to connect with the decoder at the factory assigned address first, then you can change the address and any other cv's.:thumb:

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
With the prodigy system, just changing the address to what you want, the system will silently access the correct cv's and set them for you. Unlike Digitrax, theres no hex conversion to do.:thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Thoroughbreed said:
With the prodigy system, just changing the address to what you want, the system will silently access the correct cv's and set them for you. Unlike Digitrax, theres no hex conversion to do.:thumb:

elaborate! i had to ask someone the correct CVs so i can put an extended adress on my U34CH.

Crox

Jan 21, 2007
Okotoks, AB, Canada
Thanks guys - programming on the Main worked as stated. I was trying to do it all on a program track and in that cycle on the controller it doesn't ask the address twice.

However, all running fine now, started with 0003 then entered the road number on the second prompt. no need to fiddle with any CV's the Prodigy takes care of that in the background.

Thanks again for the help.:thumb:

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
green_elite_cab said:
elaborate! i had to ask someone the correct CVs so i can put an extended adress on my U34CH.
Are you using a Prodigy system? If your decoder is still set at factory, just go to "program main", type in factory set address (normally 0003) and hit enter, it will flash address again, and this time put in the address you want it to have. The prodigy system takes care of the cv's for you.:thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Thoroughbreed said:
Are you using a Prodigy system? If your decoder is still set at factory, just go to "program main", type in factory set address (normally 0003) and hit enter, it will flash address again, and this time put in the address you want it to have. The prodigy system takes care of the cv's for you.:thumb:

really? last time i had to go through all this crazy stuff to get my locomotives to adresses i liked. thanks!