Modeling the 1870's in OO/HO - Update

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I got my John H. White's American Railroad Passenger Car History finally. I compared the drawings to exisiting HO models and the MDC and Bachmann Old time passenger cars scale out to the right size for OO. There seems to be a percentage shift in size from the late 1860's to the 1880's of people size. The later era equipment scales downward to the earlier era. Maybe the increase in food due to the railroad traffic.

passenger_car.JPG

A MDC car with OO Langley figures.

I have also updated my 1870's Why model in OO/HO site with more pictures and better explanation of Why.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/why/

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
White's books --- "The American Railroad Passenger Car", "The American Railroad Freight Car", and "American Locomotives" --- are invaluable for anyone wishing to model the 19th century. They may seem pricey, but are big books full of information and drawings, and more than worth the investment.

BillS

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
"The American Railroad Freight Car" is a great book even if you are not a wooden car modeler. I really liked the history of why railroads do things the way they do.

Harold

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Harold:
nice to see your plug for Langley. I spent a long time talking to Mrs. Langley at a show years ago.
Now I'm going to put you down for hate mail from the EM and P4 societies. :p
(I do British in OO/HO, because I can't find P4 wheels for my Athearn and Bachman units.) :D

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Now I'm going to put you down for hate mail from the EM and P4 societies.

Ah yes, the gauge police :eek: . I will realize my idea is mainstream when one of the "experts" points out the unless the gauge is exact one cannot be a "real modeler" :curse: . I got enought hate mail from the On30 "conspiracy" crowd doing narrow gauge that wasn't "critterish". That is one of the reasons I moved on from that mess.

When I was in S scale in the mid-80's one could not be a real modeler if their gauge was .875 instead of the one "true gauge" of .883.

Langley makes beautiful models I have one of their horse wagons and it is great.

Just a thought :wave:
Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
We now have a complete train. I have found an HO kit that will make an
1870's 4-wheel caboose. The Silver Streak bobber scale's out to the
caboose in the 1879 Car Builders dictionary.

bobber.JPG

It is available from Ye Old Huff and Puff

Now OO/HO has everything for the 1870's
Harold