Modeling A Dirt Road Or Path

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Drew1125, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Now that I've giotten the Marksberry Feed Co. in its new home on the layout, I'm doing some of the surrounding scenery...I wanted to depict a dirt track running from the main road, around to the rear prtion of the structure...
    I use sifted dirt for ground cover, but since I model in N scale, it tends to be rather coarse...not very well suited for a dirt road as is...
    (the white area is where another structure will be)

Attached Files:

2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I had read about this technique several years ago in MR, but had never tried it...
    I bonded the sifted dirt with 50/50 white glue & water, & waited until it had dried thoroughly for 24 hrs...then I took a small piece of sand paper, & simply sanded a path into the dirt...

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I think this worked pretty well...
    Here's a view from a lower angle...

Attached Files:

4. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

That looks good Charlie. Now if you could make tire tracks??:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  5. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Looks Good

Thanks for the tip Charlie, good show. I to was wondering how to do that for N scale, I have used sandpaper for the lanes and then chalked the h--- out of it. Not bad, but yours looks great. I will try it. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
  6. Catt

Catt Guest

If the dirt is thick enough you could run an N scale truck over it wikk just enough pressure to leave tracks.Once the dirt is dry you sand it and end looking like Charlie's great work but with tire tracks .
  7. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Very nice work once again Charlie.:thumb:
  8. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Gotta try it Charlie, thanks :cool: Looks natural.:thumb: :thumb:
  9. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I'd say that turned out real well! Thanks for the tip Charlie!
  10. pttom

pttom Member

As usually well done. Thanks for the how to.:thumb:
  11. Ricardo Nortada

Ricardo Nortada New Member

Good work. It looks very real.

Where do you buy the dirt ???
  12. belg

belg Member

Charlie that looks great,the addition of tire ruts would just add another demention of detail. I been fooling around with sanded grout for my dirt and found a color that I like alot and am wondering how you got yours down in such a nice even fashion? I sprinkled mine with a small spoon and then wet the area, a little trowel work and viola'.The tire tracks are going to be the next challenge for me maybe a small piece of wood sanded with a notch spread far enough apart and then use it like sand paper.I'd love some other opinions and /or idea's.Pat
  13. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Very nice! I think I might try this trick...

And that last photo is really great!
  14. Ty Rayles

Ty Rayles Member

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  15. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Even as far up as O scale, I've noticed the exact same thing, Charlie. Even strained as finely as possible, dirt still seems to look like 1:1 dirt, not scale dirt.

This looks like a brilliant solution, and I can't wait to try it. Many thanks! :) :thumb:
  16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Looks great Charlie!!!!!!!!!

17. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks everyone!
    I appreciate all the comments! :)
  18. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

As usual, just when I think I am having a problem with my next project, someone form The Gauge has the solution!

Thanks Charlie - I will be using this for my area around the team track and coal dealer.

19. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I have a "dirt" road I made from sifted sawdust. It does appear a bit corse for N scale so I tried your idea on a part of it. What an improvement. It looks so much more to scale and more natural.

Your new grandson has a good teacher and role model. Thanks.
  20. Lemur

Lemur New Member

Cool! I’ll have to give that a try. I was wondering how to do this as well.
    Another problem I had was in one corner of my lay out I have a few archaeologists working on a site near the main line, but could not find any realistic looking dirt for them to be digging in. I ended up using some of the fine dust created while sanding down cork roadbed. On my budget, I try to find a use for everything! Nothing goes to waste. :p