Mixing N & Z Scales

Mike P

Jan 10, 2005
Murrysville, PA
Great site, after just finishing my first N Scale layout, I discovered this site, well better late than never.

My question is I am planing a second N Scale layout approximately 40" by 8 or 9 Ft. In one section I had planned on building a small mountain community and possibly using z cale as a narrow guage RR for servicing the mountain community from the N scale RR.

Does anyone think this is fooloshness or has it been done where it does look acceptable?

F

Fred_M

Welcome to the gauge. It's has been done and even has a name. Nn3. Search that term here. Mathyro is doing a logging line on his N scale layout as we speak in that gauge. Fred

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
welcome to the gauge Mike, and yes it has been done before and can look realy good and work well together and as dash said its called Nn3. I was going to do it on the Feather river as a quarrie industry but went with plan N gauge, cost was a major factor for me. have a good one..steve

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Mike,
Again, welcome!

Note one thing, you can't just run Z scale trains. (Well, you can, it's your railroad and you can do what you like!). If you want it to look realistic you'll need N scale narrow gauge trains to run on the Z scale track.

Sorry if you already knew that.