Mixing code 100 and 83

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I was wondering what the prevailing wisdom was on mixing the two in the same layout. From what i understand atlas has something called a transitional rail joiner thant takes from one height to the other.

Reason, i'm not so good w/ laying track yet, but i need larger radius curves to run my trains and rolling stock. Code 100 has 22" and code 83 has 24" snap track which would make parallel tracks easier for me to layout. I've search and searched and i can't find 24" radius turns in code 100 which is the entirety of the track i currently own.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
yes you can mix C100 and C83 together but most people mix them in the way that there mainlines/yards are C100 and the sidings and other smaller tracks are C83.

Atlas has the transitional rail joiners, they are metal just like the others but are bent up half way down allowing the C83 rail top to meet flush with the C100 rail top.

I would suggest laying Flex-track if you want a bigger radius. There are tools availavble that you can set in the center of the flex and make "x" degree radius.

Here are some of the tools: http://walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=&manu=&item=&keywords=track+gauge&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

As you can see, they have many radius available, hope this helps :D

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
No not at all :) on the contrary, i've purchased a bunch of flex, but i'd prefer to start my first module of my new layout w/ snap track. My plan is to build the yard, and other support tracks on a 3'x10' module, wire glue install etc. Then from there tear out the old layout piece by piece and install new modules as i go along.

I'd like to start out w/ snap as it's easier for me to lay quickly and precicesly. Not only that but i don't have a true layout plan yet. Only my yard is planned right now, 8 tracks #6 turnouts and 3 crossovers. From there bend into 2 or 3 curves to the main layout and highspeed passenger track.

So that is the long way to say ... my available time, budget and skill :eek:ops: are pointing me towards snap.

I built this layout in about 4 days work over 3 weeks with tons of help from gaugers and am very proud of the results :).
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=26923

rogerw said:
Have you ruled out flex track?

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
Now those things look like they would make life really easy :). I like easy :).

TruckLover said:
yes you can mix C100 and C83 together but most people mix them in the way that there mainlines/yards are C100 and the sidings and other smaller tracks are C83.

Atlas has the transitional rail joiners, they are metal just like the others but are bent up half way down allowing the C83 rail top to meet flush with the C100 rail top.

I would suggest laying Flex-track if you want a bigger radius. There are tools availavble that you can set in the center of the flex and make "x" degree radius.

Here are some of the tools: http://walthers.com/exec/search?category=&scale=&manu=&item=&keywords=track+gauge&instock=Q&split=30&Submit=Search

As you can see, they have many radius available, hope this helps :D

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Transition rail joiners for code 100 to code 83 are Atlas part #551. Also available is Walthers (Shinohara) transition track which is a four inch piece of track with code 100 on one end and code 83 0n the other. No roadbed on the Walthers; however.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
A quick addition to my previous post. You will have to shim the end of your code 83 track, under the road bed. .012" or about the thickness of two pieces of computer paper. Otherwise you will have a gap that will allow the track to sag.

If you have Atlas track, the top of the rails will already be at the same height. The Code 83 ties are 0.017" thicker than the Code 100 ties. The transition joiner jogs up to match the bottoms of the rails. If they are too tight, spread them slightly. Touching up the cut ends of the rail flange with a file will also aid in sliding the joiner on. :thumb:

Other brands of track may have a different height. If anyone knows, I would specifically be interested in the height of the Peco Code 83:) :)