"Melina's Camp"

Hello all,

I've started with my On30-project, to build a small layout to run my Bachmann-Shay.
Last days, I've nailed 12' of track and 3 turnouts. The rails are handlaid on wooden ties.

Here are some features, that will be in the layout when it's finished :

- standard-/narrowgauge interchange to load logs
- a piece of dualgauge track
- logging camp with bunkhouses
- supply yard for shay (sand, firewood, water)
- turntable

Curves are around 350mm radius (14 '').

Here are the first pictures. The layout ist 4' by 1' 3 3/4 ''.

Alles_1.jpg

alles_2.jpg

Gerd,

Couldn't tighten up the diameter of that turntable a little more, could you? Looks like a milimeter or two wasted space there!

I think I remember reading the Delaware & Hudson had their Challengers built to specs that were a foot or so too long for their biggest turntables and so had to turn their new babies on wyes even though perfectly good turntables were in the yard. Lucky you had the Shay on-hand for field measuring.

I guess it's time to start thinking about building my tables. Too bad the Muddy Creek RR won't spring for a milling machine.

Wayne

Waldbahner said:
Hello all,

I'll try to represent a interchange between NG and SG by loading logs from ng-sceletons to sg-flats.

Any Idea what kind of crane I can use ?

Thanks...
Looks tight but if you have room you might try a Barnhart loader. I've never seen a picture of one moving logs from one car to another, but it's not inconceivable that it could be used for that. I've seen a photo of one on a barge pulling logs from the water. Heres a link to Barnharts on the excellent site, Steam In The Woods: http://www.steaminthewoods.com/barnhart.htm

Wayne