MDC Oldtimer Tender

Stan Bolsenga

Jan 15, 2007
Munising, MI
I am trying to find a Model Die Casting Oldtimer Tender, number 404 and MDC Fox trucks, number 2904. Any help out there. The MDC site and Roundhouse site were no help unless I did something wrong.

Stan Bolsenga

Jan 15, 2007
Munising, MI
No ebay

Not to be nasty, but it seems as if ebay is the answer to most of the questions on this fourm. Thanks a million for the reply but I would rather pass than be an ebay lurked for weeks and then lose it to a last second bidder.

Stan Bolsenga

Jan 15, 2007
Munising, MI
Rephrase

Maybe I should rephrase the question. Went on the MDC/Roundhouse website and all that is listed is N scale. I know they made HO in the past, so has all HO production stopped? Also. anyone know of a dealer that might have a lot of older MDC stock just waiting for someone like me to take it off of theit hands?

Timbob

Mar 1, 2007
re MDC

My understanding is that MDC/Roundhouse has been bought out and will be retooling but a lot of thier old kits are now only avaialable as old stock in hobby shops and basement empires.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Stan

You may not think much of eBay, but it is a good source for out-of-production items. The other alternative is calling a bunch of larger and older hobby shops, and hoping the help answering knows the item and whether or not they have it in stock. I do use the latter strategy myself, in addition to bidding on eBay.

The trick to eBay is to decide what the item is worth to you. Then bid or be prepared to bid that amount. If you consistently lose on a given item, then the item is worth less to you than it is to others. Either revise your pricing strategy or do without. The good part of eBay is that almost all out of production stuff eventually shows up there.

Selected Roundhouse items are back in production, but as ready-to-run only, with upgraded tooling and higher prices. I have yet to see any new production of separate parts.

my thoughts, your choices

Stan Bolsenga

Jan 15, 2007
Munising, MI
Thanks

Thanks for the good info. At least now I know the story on MDC. Anyone knows of some larger but older shops that might have some dusty shelves, I would appreciate the lead.

Nothing against ebay, but I need 2 of these tenders and the item itself is so esoteric that I'd probably wait for years to see one come up. As far as price I'd outbid anyone but the availability is what bother me.

I've bought and sold successfully on ebay, but for this I feel it is a poor choice.

Timbob

Mar 1, 2007
Fred

I am new to this forum but I note your byline reads "...where it's always 1900..." Do I take it to mean that you model turn of the (past) century? The reason I ask is that I am just re-starting after a 25 year pause and have chosen Western Canada (specifically Saskatchewan) in 1915 as my loaction/era. Any advice/commnets on motive/rolling stock would be appreciated.

Tim

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Timbob said:
Fred

I am new to this forum but I note your byline reads "...where it's always 1900..." Do I take it to mean that you model turn of the (past) century? The reason I ask is that I am just re-starting after a 25 year pause and have chosen Western Canada (specifically Saskatchewan) in 1915 as my loaction/era. Any advice/commnets on motive/rolling stock would be appreciated.

Tim

Tim

You are correct. I model free-lance HO and HOn3 short lines set in Oregon in 1900. The fictional history for the Picture Gorge and Western bears a remarkable, but totally coincidental, similarity to the plans for the one time Oregon Pacific.

The narrow gauge Tillamook Head and Bethel is intended to be similar to many of the Northern California logging company railroads that serviced the logging camps, saw mill, and a "dog hole schooner" port. The difference for the TH&B is that it saw an opportunity to expand and reach an interchange point with the the PG&W. This allowed the TH&b to become more than a logging railroad with traffic going both to the port and inland to the interchange.

1915 is a tough era to model because there were/are so many choices, depending on your prototype. Modern steam (articulated, trailing trucks, piston valves) was under development and being introduced on the major Class I railways quite rapidly. Freight cars were growing to a standard 40ft with the introduction of steel underframes and even some steel sides. At the same time, there were still plenty of short lines that had done next to no modernization except for the required safety items - air brakes and knuckle couplers. These would still be running a lot of equipment from the 1890s - wood cars with truss rods, and 4-4-0s, 2-6-0s, 4-6-0s, and 2-8-0s.

Best suggestion is to research your particular prototype. Look for books on your prototypes, and pictures of trains and track from your era.

just my thoughts, your choices

N

nachoman

I have one I may be willing to part with. I don't have the fox trucks, but I have the tender and archbar trucks (I think.) PM me if you are interested.

kevin