marx 666 engine won't go forward

bmann

Nov 25, 2005
This train has sat for at least 20 years my parents bought it for my brothers and i decided to try and get it up and running. I cleaned and lubed everything i read to do on a marx website it also said maybe after running for awhile the e unit would come unstuck or try tapping it. But it still runs backwards. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
humm, i actually have the same engine, but never had that problem... my suggestion would be to roll the wheels back and forth some and check the gearing out... then pop the top off and check out the insides... theres a foward reversing unit on it... i'm not an expert at that device, since i have yet to encounter a broken marx (since they last forever!), but if you open it up and take it apart, you should beable to see if something seems broken... there arnt any fancy circuit boards or anything in there soo it shouldnt be to hard to look at, just take your time when taking it apart soo you know how to put it back together

do you have any other marx engines that you could compare to?

when i get a chance i'll take my 666 apart and see if i can give you any pointers... out of all my marx sets i own, that is the only one i never opened up, it's a very strong and well built machine

bmann

Nov 25, 2005
everything looks good maybe i need to take it apart further and try to clean it better would you know if the wheels just pop off. I tried to pry just a little under the wheel and gave up thought i might break it but the nuts to the sides are under those wheels thanks

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
be VERY careful with the wheels, i actually recently discovered it, in order to pop them off you need to get a decent sized flat head screw driver, put the tip all the way under next to the axle, and slowly turn the screwdriver and it will pull them apart, you may have to move the screwdriver around the wheel and repeat the turning motion to pull it off.... and thats the easy part

the hard part is pushing the wheels back together, you must be careful, it can be hard to push them back together, and if you dont push evenly on the wheel you risk bending the axle!!!!

the first time i took the wheels of an engine i had one hell of a time putting them back on, but the engine wasn't repairable or driveable anyway, soo i never did get them back on fully... but in your case, it would most likely be worth the trouble

Before you take anything apart, it really sounds like the e-unit is sticking. I've had Marxies in the past that only wanted to run in one direction but not the other. Squirt a healthy dose of contact cleaner into the e-unit, pick up the locomotive and shake it vigorously, then let it dry for about half an hour and see what happens. That's cured a couple of problematic locos for me.