Marker Lights

I am trying to install some marker lights on my caboose, and am wondering how to do it. I am using a Digitrax Zephyr system, I beleive that it puts out 12 V, some one correct me if I am wrong. I would like to connect the lights directly to the track but I am not sure exactly how to do this, I figure that I will probably need some resistors but I don't know what ratings to use. The local hobby shop suggested that I use a constant lighting mechanism, (I thought that those were just for use on DC) when I connect the lighting mechanism to the rail the lights go on but the system shorts out. The fact that the mechanism doesn't work doesn't bother me, all I want to know is how I can connect these marker lights, with or without this mechanism. Do I need more than resistors to do this task? Oh, and I am using 1.5 V lamps. One more question, what is the difference in a grain of wheat bulb and a grain of rice bulb? and how can I tell them apart?

Thanks, Freelancer

Pete

An easier (?) way to reduce the 12V down to operate your 1.5V lamps might be through the use of diodes instead of resistors. There are a couple of different ways they can be used. I'll see if I can find some diagrams and post them up later...

Pete

Gary Pfeil

I'm not sure about the 12 volts from a Zephyr. And you need a special volt meter to read it, since it is neither DC nor conventional AC. Tony's (www.ttx-dcc.com) sells a meter that reads the voltage and amperage correctly. Here is the non technical method I use for determining resistor size for bulbs on DCC: For a 1.5v lamp, try something around 800 ohm first. Just clip the track power to the resistor and lamp. Work your way down till brightness suits you. I suppose since I have access to all the resistors I want for free this method is fine! If you get an accurate reading of track voltage you could just post it here and someone will give you a value. Difference in grain of wheat versus rice is size and current rating.

billk

Recently there was an article in one of the mags (MR??) where they used a little battery (watch/calculator type) to for something like this. The neat thing I remember is that the caboose's smoke jack was connected to an on/off push button switch so you could turn the lights on and off.

shaygetz

If you're using the Apex ones, I just made up an onboard battery setup like so;

Attachments

• lite1.jpg
    lite1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 158

shaygetz

The light is turned on and off by a switch routed thru a rear window using a very small nail. It could just as easily be done thru the smokejack as well. No one has yet pointed it out in 8 years of ops. The battery is 3 years old to give you an idea of how long it lasts. I've had it on for 6-8 hours at shows. The extra weight helps the car to track well and the battery will never fry those 1.5v grain-o-rice bulbs.

Attachments

• lite.jpg
    lite.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 157
Thanks for your help guys, I think that for right now I will go with shaygetz idea with the battery. It seems to be the easiest for me. For being so electronically illiterate I don't know why I picked this hobby. Thanks again!

Freelancer

shaygetz

Radio Sham carries the battery box for $.99 if you're not feeling mechanically inclined. You won't be electrically illiterate for long in this hobby:thumb: