Making Prickly Pear Cactus

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by hminky, Jun 1, 2005.

1. hminky

hminky Member

2. petepuma

petepuma Member

Wow! what a great idea! With a little thought and imagination you can make just about anything...:)
  3. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Great how-to Harold.

4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Another great how to Harold. Your website is amazing with so much help on things that interest us model railroaders.
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

My wife would be pleased to have a couple of those in our yard. The real ones grow like crazy even when you don't water them. These would be ideal.:D:D

Great work, I can vouch for their authenticity.:thumb:
  6. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Very neat looking!
  7. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Prickly Pear!! AAAARRGHHHHH!!

It is a declared noxious weed here, and you can be fined if found growing it. :eek: It was a major invasive pest in the early parts of last century.

from ***click here***

However, it's control was one of the most successful biological control of a pest ever done, with the introduction of the cactoblastus beetle, that went and ate it all! Now, prickly pear is nowhere to be seen.
  8. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Wow Woodie, and my wife thought that the ones we had in our front yard were a problem.:eek: Even here in Arizona, they grow like weeds. You can start one by breaking off an ear and planting it. Just a bit of water at first, and a few years later you have a plant that is five foot high and ten foot across. They bloom with red pear-shaped fruit, lots of them. Every tourist shop in Arizona sells cactus jelly made from this fruit. :cool:
  9. Zman

Zman Member

Hey Harold, considering Woodie's post, I'd keep an eye on those buggers lest they take over your layout.
  10. hminky

hminky Member

Fortunately my faux fur grass is more invasive and chokes it out :eek: