Maglev debuts in Shanghai

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by roryglasgow, Jan 1, 2003.

1. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

2. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

I saw a thing on the History Channel about that. The Japaneese have had one for years.
  3. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Yes, the Japanese have one that they have been testing for a while. It is being used in commercial service, but is still only a prototype. Also, a there is some company building a test track at Old Dominion University in Virginia.

To my knowledge, the one in Shanghai is the first full-blown commercial application of a maglev train. At present, it is only a few miles long. But they have considered a line between Shanghai and Beijing if this one proves successful--although the cost would be enormous.

I imagine, though, that since Germany is sharing the technology with China, we'll start seeing these things sold a discount rates (with Made in China stamped on the bottom). :)

Perhaps Kato, Life-Like, Bachmann, etc. will be able to scale the technology down to HO and N scales one day. :) Then it would be prototypical to run trains at 300 scale mph! Maybe even run them at 300 mph, for real!