low proffile wheels?

nscalekevin

Jun 23, 2006
I just purshased 8 autoracks a few micro-trains and red caboose. The gentleman had converted them to "low profile trucks". I have never ran low profile trucks. They seamed to run well with my normal rolling stock.
My question has anybody have problems with the low profile wheel sets? I know they are mostly used on the smaller code track. I use Code 80, for nscale I don't think the raiklhead is that noticable. Just looking to see others opinions. I am sure I will convert them back to normal micro-trains wheel sets.Thanks Nscalekevin:wave:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
If they run well, why convert them? The only problems I have had with low-profile wheelsets is with Peco switches, which are designed for deep European flanges. They work fine as long as your trackwork is good.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
Large flanged wheels (pizza cutter wheels) are to prevent rolling stock, especially in long trains from derailing on sharp curves like 9" radius. If you are running 12" radius or larger, you shouldn't have a problem.

nscalekevin

Jun 23, 2006
why convert?

One of the reasons I would convert them if they are working is that all my other rolling stock runs with "normal" micro-trains wheel sets, with no problems.. I guess I just believe if one keeps it all the same wheels, couplers. Everything will run smooth.

3railguy

Sep 7, 2004
Kaukauna, WI
Keeping everything large wheel flanges won't improve running unless you are experienceing derailments with the low profile flanges. Otherwise the larger flanges increase drag.

CraigN

May 18, 2006
You didn't say if they were metal wheelsets or plastic.

Some people change to metal wheel sets to keep the track cleaner. All the M-T wheelsets I have are plastic and they seem to collect the dirt.

I have changed alot of mine to the new Atlas metal wheelsets because I use Atlas code 55 track and the pizza cutters hit the spikeheads of my track. They seem to roll better now too.

Craig

CraigN said:
You didn't say if they were metal wheelsets or plastic.

Some people change to metal wheel sets to keep the track cleaner. All the M-T wheelsets I have are plastic and they seem to collect the dirt.

I have changed alot of mine to the new Atlas metal wheelsets because I use Atlas code 55 track and the pizza cutters hit the spikeheads of my track. They seem to roll better now too.

Craig

Did you have any problems with the Atlas metal wheelsets? I've read that the Atlas wheelsets for MTL are a little bit loose and tend to fall out, likewise for other brands of rolling stock except for Atlas. I'd like to swap out for Atlas metal wheelsets as well if they are any good.

BTW, if anyone needs some MTL "standard" wheelsets, I got a whole bag full of 'em, just let me know where to send 'em :D .

Ray

CraigN

May 18, 2006
biker_ray_pa said:
Did you have any problems with the Atlas metal wheelsets? I've read that the Atlas wheelsets for MTL are a little bit loose and tend to fall out, likewise for other brands of rolling stock except for Atlas. I'd like to swap out for Atlas metal wheelsets as well if they are any good.

BTW, if anyone needs some MTL "standard" wheelsets, I got a whole bag full of 'em, just let me know where to send 'em :D .

Ray
I haven't had any problems with mine yet, but I have only had them on for about a month. One thing for me that is fact- the cars I have the metal wheelsets on roll alot better. If I uncouple on a grade- they roll away.

Craig