Looks like the paving crews came through today.....

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Interurban is the closest so far. It is indeed ordinary sand to give the texture.

And yes that is a Texaco sign on the dance hall. You gotta love Con Cor kits for the nice signs they include onthe box.

I little hint. No glue was harmed in the making of these roads.

Belg is pretty close with the gasket thing. It isnt foam however.

F

Fred_M

That sticky air conditioner sealer tape stuff covered with sand. Fred

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
DING! DING! DING!

Dash 10 got it more or less.

It is AMI Instant Roadbed. Which is indeed made from the sticky air conditioner tape used to seal around air conditioner equipment.

All it is, is the roadbed with good ole fashioned Play Sand. No paint, no glue, and only took about 10 minutes to do.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
I was gonna guess painted sandpaper! That's how I do mine! I'll bet the AMI stuff gives you better control for making potholes and stuff! :)

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Yeah it does.

It stays pliable pretty much indefinitely so you can actually reroute your roads or roadbed for your track very easily.

I had bought two rolls of it (1 roll = 30 ft.) and only used 1 roll of it to do my track so I decided to experiment a bit with using for other things. It does very well for roads and the nice thing is you can shape and contour it tp look more like a real road does an not have it be so perfectly flat like sandpapoer of styrene.

Another trick AMI suggests is to take very small strips of it and roll it out like a string and use it to simulate the tar seams on older road and the like. I may try that for some detail work to sort of break up the uniform appearance of my roads once I get them all where I want them to be.

The next step for me is to paint the baseboard of my layout then use some fine ballast or sand as roadside shoulder gravel for my roads and finish up my parking lots with some parking curbs and the like.