Looking for

Hi guys,
I have a small problem, I have got an old Rivarossi mallet locomotive and a very important part of this mallet is broken, one of the gearboxes that drive the front set of wheels is defect, the second problem is, I dropt this gear box of at a hobbyshop and they gave my gearbox to a traveling salesman to see if he could find one for me, but instead he lost it. So now I have a brokendown mallet
Dose enybody konw where I can get such a gearbox.
I have atached a photo under the paperklip???????
Erne.

Attachments

• gearbox3.jpg
    gearbox3.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 128

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
You will have to replace more than just the broken gearbox, but NWSL offers repowering/regear kits for most Rivarossi locomotives. Performance will be significantly improved. See their web site at http://www.nwsl.com/. I find the NWSL brochures and tutorials provide a lot more information than just their straight catalog listing. I have heard that the folks at NWSL will also help you order the right item over the phone.

As for Rivarosssi parts, they were acquired - I think by Hornby - about 6 months ago so getting a Rivarossi replacement may be problematic.

Hope this helps

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Rivarossi is now taken over by Walthers for the USA equipment - They might be able to help. Hornby have taken the European side, together with Lima, Joueff, Arnold, Elecrotren etc. I'm not sure what the spare position is, but Fred's suggestion may be the best one
Shortliner(Jack) away up here in the Highlands

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
You said old Rivarossi. How old? If this was imported
under aegis of AHM/IHC, then the only replacement parts
available will be those acquired by Golf Course Hobby
Shop in Cincinnati from IHC. They have supported the
fleets of these locos from 50s-80s, but some items are
running out. Phone,write,or Emial them, but be specific
and know what you want(at least grossly). Your engine
came with a parts list (normally associated with an
exploded isometric drawing of the engine) that gives
you help to this end.
Good-Luck, PJB

Hi pjb, we bought this mallet around 1963 in Australia from a train collector.
We arsked if we could see it run, He put it on the track but it did nothing, it just stood there and wouldn't move, he pushed and schoved and hit it a couppel of times but it wouldn't bug.
We arsked if we could buy it and he said "here take it with you it's broken".
When we got home we took it apart and cleand out the dryed up grease, oild it, put it back together and put it on the tract and it ran as if it was new, but we never told the collector, we kept that to ourself.
when we bought it we didn't get a exploded view because he didn't have one, so we don't have any part numbers,
I have tryed here in Holland, Belgum and Germany but nobody could help me.
Today I had a respons from NWSL and I think that thay have something I can use.
I wil keep you informed.
Thanks for the respons.
By the way, do you heve a E-mail adress for the Golf Course Hobby Shop in Cincinnati, so I can send them a message?
regards Erne.