Looking for Goo Glue Suggestions

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I'm starting to build the Idaho Springs Mine by Campbell's. It's mostly cardboard covered by corrugated tin. The instructions say to use Walther's Goo glue or similar and specifically not to use white glue. There's no LHS in my neck of the woods (a city of 250,000+, can you believe it?) and I hate to pay the S&H just to order the glue online. Can anybody suggest another more readily availabe alternative that will work? I was think of using latex caulk.
Thanks,
Doc

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Speaking of tin roofs and CA. I've always had a problem with getting that stuff to stick well. It stays, but don't tweak, or bump it. Pops, right off, unless you put a lot, which may not be practical in certain situations.

I bead blasted some Campbell's tin to help the CA stick and that still didn't help much. Heck, the paint didn't even want to cover it. Kind of just falls into the grooves.

I'd use some spray adheasive on the cardstock and just when it's tacky, start applying. Just don't over-do the glue. Ideally, you want to spray both parts, but you may be chasing tin, or pealing it off the walls once you spray.

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have been using Easy Grip a clear contact cement I got a Walmart with some success.

Harold

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Don't use the white or tacky glues for this. They are water-based and will warp the cardboard wall. Goo is pretty good - I have not experienced the "aging" problem noted by Gary - maybe I haven't had my structures long enough...

One thing that does help glue, paint, weathering, etc stick to the corrugated tin roof "foil" is a spray of Dullcoat. However, do not put an alcohol wash over it, as it will make the Dullcoat turn whitish (actually it's ok if that is what you are going for... ;) ).

Andrew

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I like the weather strip adhesive and contact cement ideas best. I try to stay away from time sensitive glues like five minute epoxy. Guess I don't do well under pressure.

Doc