looking for a compressor, but havent been able to find it anywhere

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
It's called the AutoMist 2000, and it's mentioned as being very good in this airbrushing book I'm reading. The only thing is, I try to go to the site of the manufacturer mentioned in the book, www.automist2000.com, and it no longer exists. I also could find nothing about it on Ebay, and searching for it on Google didnt bring up many helpful results, besides linking to the website which no longer exists. So, does anyone have one of these or know where to get one, or what happened to the company?

The book I'm reading was published in 2001, btw.

(Here's a picture of it I found online.)

Attachments

• Automist 2000.jpg
    Automist 2000.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 38

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Unless noise is an issue, I would go to Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and look for a compressor with a storage tank. You don't need a very big compressor for an air brush, but you will get smoother air delvery from a tank than directly from the compressor. If noise is a concern, I think they make some quiet versions of compressors for construction use. Where are you going to use your air brush? Don't forget, if you are going to use it indoors to have a spray booth that expels the chemicals outside.

N

nachoman

I saw one on sale at the auto parts store around christmas time for about 35-40 bucks. It had a small 1 gallon tank, and it was a cheapie, but it may be a good airbrush compressor. I almost bought one. for the price, it would be worth testing out.

kevin

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
noise isnt a major issue, as long as it isnt too loud. i wanted to get it because it said it makes almost no moisture unless you use it for many hours at a time.

HPRL

Dec 31, 2005
SW Ohio
I pick up an air compressor at Costco. It had a lot of extra tools I can use on the railroad (air gun). For the airbrush you will need to add a filter. You can get a filter on ebay for about 15 bucks.

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
Kingman Arizona/Dolan Springs Arizona
HPRL said:
I pick up an air compressor at Costco. It had a lot of extra tools I can use on the railroad (air gun). For the airbrush you will need to add a filter. You can get a filter on ebay for about 15 bucks.
I do a lot of airbrush work and I use my shop compressor (125psi). Just cut your regulator down to a max of 50psi. Add a filter behind your gauge and go to work. An airbrush works best at 20psi. 50psi is the max for an airbrush and as you are using it, it will stay within the 20psi range. Hope this helps you.
smile.gif

PS: I bought my compressor at a pawn shop for 20bucks in working condition.sign1

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
ding chavez said:
noise isnt a major issue, as long as it isnt too loud. i wanted to get it because it said it makes almost no moisture unless you use it for many hours at a time.

Compressors don't make moisture. The moisture is already in the air and condenses when the air is compressed. The amount of moisture you get is a direct result of the amount of humidity in the air and the compressor won't make a lot of difference. Our shop compressor runs the compressed air through a refrigerated moisture separator, and we still get moisture out of the lines sometimes. Regardless of what type compressor you get, you will need a water separator in the line feeding your air brush. The only way that I know of to eliminate the moisture completely is to go to a welding supply and get a tank of dry nitrogen. The pressure in the tank will start out at 2500#s and you will need a regulator to reduce the pressure to 20-30#s for spraying.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I have a compressor in the garage, it's big, it's noisy and doesn't look that great either. Plus it runs on 220. My wife puts up with a lot from me, but I doubt that she'd go along with bringing that thing in the house to run my airbrush.:rolleyes: Harbor Freight has small airbrush compressors that work just fine. We've got several stores in the Phoenix area, but they do have a catalog and take internet and phone orders. They frequently run great sales, I bough an airbrush from them for way under $10 and got a really nice $100 airbrush compressor on sale for around $65. They are really great to deal with and have a "no questions asked" return policy.:)