Looking for a Coal Tower

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Hi again

Been lurking for a while and reading good stuff on The-Gauge from alot of people. Should have joined sooner :)

I have a question for anyone that may know. I am looking for a coaling tower of specific configuration. It needs to have the coal delivery track right under the tower. Coal to the loco's would be from either the right or left hand sides.

A view of my plan is on RailImages ( http://www.railimages.com/gallery/brucenordstrand ), the small engine terminal is in the first pic. It has changed from a 3 track arrangement to 2 track to reduce the clutter but it has now presented me with a problem in the coaling tower.

Any in plan form in mags would be great also, I'll just buy the mag in question. That would give me an opportunity for a bit of scratchbuilding! I have found a few mags from a search on Trains.com but as I cannot see inside the mags, I don't know which one to buy. Here are some dates I found. If anyone has any of these and the coaling towers either look like what I am after or could be built that way, could you let me know. I can then go and find where to get the mags from. Oh, and I am not sure if they are all scratchbuilding articles. Sorry for the imposition, I just don't know where to turn next. Thanks in advance.

Here goes....

RMC Aug 53, pg 6 - Pt 1
RMC Oct 53, pg 38 - Pt2

RMC Jun 57, pg 30

RMC Aug 60, pg 19 - Pt1
RMC Sep 60, Pg 22 - Pt2

RMC May 85, pg 69

RMC May 88, pg65 - Pt1
RMC Jun 88, Pg 77 - Pt2
RMC Jul 88, pg 74 - Pt3
RMC Jun 88, pg 57 - Pt4

RMC Nov 90, pg 82

MRR Oct 51, pg 23 - Pt1
MRR Nov 51, pg 20 - Pt2
MRR Dec 51, pg 46 - Pt3
MRR Jan 52, pg 30 - Pt4

MRR Dec 75, pg 72

MRR Jun 86, pg 74

MRR Aug 87, pg 82

MRR Feb 98, pg 90

Hoping someone can help.

Cheers
Bruce

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
:wave: Welcome to the-gauge Bruce! :wave:

Kewl - another hand layer! I am somewhat a hand laying wannabe. I went straight to the hand laying pics instead of the track plan :D :D :D

That's a neat coal tower. I don't recall seeing one like that in my back issues, but I'll keep an eye open for one and try to look up the articles you list if I have them. I have a lot of older back issues, but my collection is no where near complete. You could about model it from that photo, you have two sides shown.

Most publishers will not give out any information about their authors, but they will often forward an e-mail, either electronically or by printing it and mailing it out. Check:

http://www.allenkeller.com/GMR06.htm

There's an e-mail link at the bottom. You might e-mail Alan and ask if he would forward your question and e-mail address to Dick.

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Originally posted by jon-monon
:wave: Welcome to the-gauge Bruce! :wave:
Thanks for the welcome! I must apologise, I have been a lurker for a while now :(

Kewl - another hand layer! I am somewhat a hand laying wannabe. I went straight to the hand laying pics instead of the track plan :D :D :D
Newbie hand layer. Those shots are my first attempt at handlaid track and turnouts. My real RR hasn't started yet but will in a month or so.

That's a neat coal tower. I don't recall seeing one like that in my back issues, but I'll keep an eye open for one and try to look up the articles you list if I have them. I have a lot of older back issues, but my collection is no where near complete. You could about model it from that photo, you have two sides shown.

Most publishers will not give out any information about their authors, but they will often forward an e-mail, either electronically or by printing it and mailing it out. Check:

http://www.allenkeller.com/GMR06.htm

There's an e-mail link at the bottom. You might e-mail Alan and ask if he would forward your question and e-mail address to Dick.
Thanks for all that, and good idea about contacting "via". I'll shoot an email of to Allen and see what happens.

Cheers
Bruce

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hello Bruce and welcome to the gauge. Glad you found the photo you were looking for.
Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Thanks for the welcome! I must apologise, I have been a lurker for a while now

hehehe no prob., I lurked myself for 6 months before I even setup an account.

Newbie hand layer. Those shots are my first attempt at handlaid track and turnouts. My real RR hasn't started yet but will in a month or so

I think they look great! Any idea how well it works? I'll bet it's reliable as commercial if it complies with that NMRA gauge.

Thanks for all that, and good idea about contacting "via". I'll shoot an email of to Allen and see what happens.

I forgot to mention, you could also try webmaster@railimages.com and/or admin@railimages.com, but I suspect Allen is the best bet, since railimages has no contacts listed on their site.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
There is one here - although it is hard to tell if it dispenses coal on bothe sides. It definitely loads from underneath. It is an unnamed kit assembled by Doug Cushman, who is in one of our local clubs. I suppose you could try the "contact via..." approach for this too.

http://www.caorm.org/Images/gallery/cushman4.jpg

It is hosted on the Canadian Association of Railway Modellers ( www.caorm.org ) The site is in frames (who uses those any more) so you'll have to edit the url in the navigation bar to get "up" into the site.

Andrew

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Originally posted by MasonJar
There is one here - although it is hard to tell if it dispenses coal on bothe sides. It definitely loads from underneath. It is an unnamed kit assembled by Doug Cushman, who is in one of our local clubs. I suppose you could try the "contact via..." approach for this too.

http://www.caorm.org/Images/gallery/cushman4.jpg

It is hosted on the Canadian Association of Railway Modellers ( www.caorm.org ) The site is in frames (who uses those any more) so you'll have to edit the url in the navigation bar to get "up" into the site.

Andrew
Thank you sir

Another fine looking coaling tower. An email has been dispatched to the club :)

Cheers
Bruce

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Originally posted by jon-monon
I think they look great! Any idea how well it works? I'll bet it's reliable as commercial if it complies with that NMRA gauge.
Actually, I have run anything over the track aside from some trucks with Kadee wheels :) It does however checkout with the NMRA gauge and seems to be smooth through the turnout. We'll see what happens when I start the "real" stuff :)

I forgot to mention, you could also try webmaster@railimages.com and/or admin@railimages.com, but I suspect Allen is the best bet, since railimages has no contacts listed on their site.
I might try this route also, thanks for the info.

Cheers
Bruce

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
Bruce
there were only 5 of the dates you picked that had small wooden towers the best on is the 1988 RMC one here is pic none of them have under tower dumps would not be hard to modify fot that:D

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Originally posted by jim currie
Bruce
there were only 5 of the dates you picked that had small wooden towers the best on is the 1988 RMC one here is pic none of them have under tower dumps would not be hard to modify fot that:D
Thanks Jim

I really appreciate your efforts. I will look further into that issue.

Cheers
Bruce