Logging Pictures From Jim T.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thanks for the pics, Jim and Jon!

I love the browns and greys of the weathered water tank. Gives a good color reference for weathering unpainted wood.

Hey Jon, did you note that at left there's lurking a ghost of a bulldozer (or whatsit?)!!! :eek:

Ron

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by RailRon

Hey Jon, did you note that at left there's lurking a ghost of a bulldozer (or whatsit?)!!! :eek:

Yes, Ron, that's one of the areas I lightened up, as well as the shadow on the yellow dozer on the top photo. Amazing what comes out when doing that, the dozer or whatever, tracked thingy, on the bottom one was not really visible in the original piccy.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Just curious..where were these pics taken? Of what era is the donkey engine? Do they still use them? (Obviously I know nothing which is why I ask so many seemingly silly questions :D )

Maybe the bucket hiding behind the engine belongs to the tracked 'thingy'

Jim T

Jan 25, 2003
Warrenton, OR
www.freewebs.com
These pics were taken at a logging display up in the Oregon coastal mtns. It's on the hwy between Seaside, OR (on the coast as the name implies) and Portland, OR. One of the old area loggers started this display and built a nice restaurant to go with it. They have a huge amount of equipment up there and I took quite a number of pics to try out my new digital camera. I'll post some more soon. Also I'm thinking of starting a webpage of some sort and could take more pics with more detail and better lighting to post there if there is some interest. I think some of them would really help with weathering projects.

Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jim,
That yellow object looks like part of a Heister, so where's the caterpillar that pulls it. :D

Shamus
waver.gif

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
The water tank is interesting in that it has no bands. Are we looking at an outer cover, and the tank itself is inside?, an insulated tank?, or, because it's a display, is it empty, and the bands were too rusty so were removed?
Pete

Jim T

Jan 25, 2003
Warrenton, OR
www.freewebs.com
I'll hunt for the cat next time I go by there. Also if there's a lot of interest in this sort of stuff, I'd enjoy putting together some sort of photo album of the equipment up there. Sounds like a good excuse to have a webpage. LOL

Cheers, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jim,
Thats a good idea getting a website full of logging photo's, I got 100's on my hard-drive I can let you have, in the mean time, here's a view of the Heister complete. (Model)
Shamus
waver.gif

Attachments

• mfox08a.jpg
    mfox08a.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 493

Jim T

Jan 25, 2003
Warrenton, OR
www.freewebs.com
Actually, to expand on the logging pics idea I could see where it would be nice to have a site where all kinds of pictures, such as old buildings suitable for modelling could be posted. It could be broken into different catagories (logging equip., switching yards, buildings, tunnel portals, etc, etc,). What a great source for ideas for building, equipment, and weathering that would be!! What an incentive to take pics when out and about! What a huge project to organize!!! LOL

Jim

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Can we get back to Sumpter's question about the water tank? I've never seen one without bands --- and doubt if there is such a thing unless, as Sumpter suggested, we're looking at an outer covering of boards.

Or, unless this is an imitation water tank put up by the guy collecting this equipment?????

Any opinions?

BillS

rocko59

Feb 25, 2006
Vernon BC Canada
A little info on Cat logging

Hi I'm new here & found this buried in my favorites, hope this topic is still on the site.
We have some terms we used for this equipment out here, the "tracked thingy" sign1 is usually called a Cat & the track arch may be a HYSTER or Pacific Car & Foundry(CARCO) or maybe a couple other builders too. The cat in the first pick has a 3 drum yarding winch on the back that would have been rigged up to a spar tree or skyline on steep ground. The bucket just behind the yarder is most likely on a track loader in this era or it could be on a rubber tired loader too. Track loaders were built a lot different than the Cat to it's right, they have large arms coming down from a tower in front of the operator, the Cat would have had a blade operated by a cable control unit mouted on the front or rear of it, with a "c frame" to support the blade from the track frames. Track arches went from roughly the late 40's into the 60's when Cats were big enough to have a small arch mounted on the back, above the skidding winch. I have tons of pics that show this equipment if anyone is interested, just need to resize them though. Best Regards, Russ