Loco No GoGo

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I purchased a Spectrum Consolidation 2-8-0 to eventually use with my layout, but for now to use as my engine to test my track as I lay it. My problem is that apparently it has a mind of it's own and won't run. I have terminal joiners attached to the end of the track laid. I have my Tech II, Model 2400 hooked up to the other end of the terminals at the variable DC hookups as I believe I am suppose to do. Also, there are two wire bundles that run from the tender to the engine. I have both bundles connected and fully seated, I believe.

I would welcome any suggestions as to how I can get this thing up and running!!

Bob Collins

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, First thing is to find out if the problem is the loco or the power supply. Remove the loco from the track. If you have another loco, try that. If not, use a 12 volt lamp. If the new loco doesn't run, or the lamp doesn't light, then you have no power. Try the lamp across the terminals of the power pack and see if you get light. If not, your power pack is at fault. If you do, then try at the rail joiner lead.

In short, you need to trace the path and find where the voltage disappears. Once you have isolated the problem, you can fix it.

Gary

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks Gary;

I think I can say I have tracked it back to the engine. I have power at the power pack and on the track. I don't have another engine right now, but can borrow one in a couple of days and that will be soon enough as I have to be gone for a couple of days.

Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate it very much

Bob

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, Sorry to hear you have a problem with your loco. I have two of them and mine run fine. Guess I should've written: "Once you find the problem, you can return it". I only disassembled the tender on my units, to install a decoder. It was a while back,so I do not remember the details of the units wiring too well, but open up the tender and check the jumper plug in the DCC socket, perhaps it is missing or not fully inserted. You may find a loose or disconnected wire. Having never opened up the loco, I do not know how difficult it may be. If you do not find the problem in the tender, you can either open up the loco and check, or decide to return the unit for replacement. Hope you can get your problem resolved soon.

Gary

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Bob, Sorry to hear you have a problem with your unit. I have two and mine run fine. You may want to open up the tender and check the DCC socket. It should have a jumper plug in it, perhaps it is not fully seated. You may find loose or disconnected wires which you can repair. I never opened up the loco, so I do not know how difficult it may be. I only opened up the tender to install a decoder. You can either open up the loco to check its wires or decide to return the unit for replacement. You may want to apply power via test leads to the motor directly to see if the motor is good. Good luck.

Gary

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Sorry for the duplicate posts, twice now I have gotten a screen which indicates my reply "could not find address" or some such thing, both times after using spell check. I assumed the reply did not go thru, so
I reposted.
Gary

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Gary,
If your posts don't go in first time, just refresh a couple of times, then they will.

shamus
waver.gif

NARA Member #24
http://www.badger-creek.co.uk

Hello Bob:

I have the problem of the locomotive jerking on the tracks. Here is what I do. Clean the tracks with a "Bright Boy". It looks like a childrens school eraser. Next I use a locomotive wheels cleaner. This device connects up to you power supply. On the other end, there are brass brushes. Put them across your wheels. The wheels should start out moving slowly. As they get cleaner. The loco will pick up speed. Check Walthers website for these. www.walthers.com
Even if your loco just sits there on the shelf. The wheels still need cleaning.

One stupid thing I did when I ballasted my tracks. I ran the train over it when the glue wasn't dry. Needless to say. I was able to clean it!

Andy
www.geocities.com/droid144/index.html

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I can sort of close this topic out by saying that it turned out that there was something serious wrong with the engine. I have gotten my hands on two other engines and both work just fine. I will take the suggestion to heart about keeping track clean. I learned that lesson where I had early on installed some track in conjunction with a couple of 90 degree crossovers and it has all be sitting there for about two months drawing dust. The first time I tried to run the engine along that piece of track it stopped dead... very dirty track
redface.gif

Bob