Liquid electrical tape

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by 60103, Mar 23, 2004.

1. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Can anyone tell me if Liquid Electrical Tape really exists? I saw references to it somewhere, but the local hardware stores give me funny looks when I ask about it.
    Who makes it?
    Who sells it?
    Is it available/legal in Canada?
  2. Pete

Pete Member

It does...try back in the automotive section of WallyWorld or Canadian Tire, should be around the headlights and driving lights toward the electric connectors. Brand name I got from them is Starbrite.
  3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

Ok, this is off subject, but another use for hot melt glue is to replace electrical tape. It's prob. not UL appoved, but works for me. FRED
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Probably doesn't need UL or CSA if it is used on low voltage circuits. I've never tried either liquid tape or hot melt for connections, but I would guess that the liquid tape would be a bit more pliable. But hey, if you stick the joint to the backboard while it's still soft, you shouldn't have to tack the wires down afterwards...:D :D
  5. chipmonk

chipmonk Member

well if it helps i work at a hardware store and we carry liquid electrical tape not sure on the brand or price but i can might want to try looking at home depot

The stuff deffinatly exists

anyway hope this helps
  6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I have a can in my hand right now. Called "Star brite Liquid Electrical Tape". I have used it to paint over several solder joints and it works great. One thing. When you take the cap off there is a brush attached to the inside. scrape off as much as you can on the top of the can or it will drip all over and it is very hard to remove.
  7. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

harbor freight if you have them there carries it in several colors;)
  8. CSX6638

CSX6638 Member

You should be able to find it in any marine supply store, I have a can that I use for electrical connections on my boat, it forms a protective dielectric coating, seals out moisture and prevents corrosion. Mine is called Bow t' Stern, liquid electrical tape.
  9. stary

stary Member

10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Ace Hardware carries red, black and white, under the GB label.
  11. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I found it in the auto department at WalMart. I'll buy a tin after my pension check comes in.
  12. Jodam

Jodam Member

In a pinch Neutral cure silicone or raiding the Wifes Nail polish are both good insulators.
    The nail polish is also excellent to stop srews and nuts vibrating loose.