Life Like 2-8-8-2

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Gavin Miller, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Ian Smith is an accomplished HO modeller who fell in love with Life Like's N-scale 2-8-8-2 and, at the price (approx $90 US), couldn't resist buying one and doing a great weathering job on it.

I photographed it last night on the West-N-Trak layout in the clubrooms of the WA Branch of AMRA (Australian Model Railway Assoc).

Couldn't resist adding a bit of smoke and steam in Photoshop.

Gavin Miller

Attached Files:

2. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Here's another shot without any "enhancement".

Attached Files:

3. garyn

garyn Member

Nice weathering.

Man for $90USD I'd get 2 right now.

4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Beautiful loco. Looks really good with the weathering and the scenery. Excellent value
  5. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

WAH!! I want one, I want one. I checked out Lifelike last week and didn't see it.
  6. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

I don't know why they were so cheap here in Australia and so expensive in the US. They are a beautiful little loco though and probably worth the US price!

7. garyn

garyn Member

The price in the US is around $200 +/-

And they are still available from many dealers.
  8. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

I know Perth Hobby Centre had a few last time I visited (some weeks ago now). You could call or fax them and ask. I remember they were priced around $169 AUD. Unfortunately for you guys the Aussie $ has strengthened against the US $ and now exchanges for about 65 US cents so the price is now a little higher in your currency (about $110 USD).

Perth Hobby Centre's website is

Unfortunately they don't have on-line ordering. Call them or fax them - tell 'em Gavin sent you (I used to work there!).
  9. porkypine52

porkypine52 New Member

$200.00 for LL 2-8-8-2 ?

$200.00 for a 2-8-8-2? WOW! At my local hobby shop they're going for $150.00 and that is before my club discount kicks in.
    I see them all the time on eBay going for $125.00 to $165.00.
    Check around people you might be surprised at the price you can get one for.
  10. redracer

redracer Member

I believe that they come here direct from China, not via the US, so that saves quite a lot of shipping for a start ....

While they look very nice, its a shame they do not do their intended job i.e. pulling a long freight train !!!! Samples I have seen at the club here couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding :-(
  11. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

True! One of my 221 series power cars could probably pull more, haha.

I'm not too bothered though. Mine is one of just two "restored" steam engines which pull the odd heritage consist around my "modern day" layout!
  12. garyn

garyn Member

While mine was not quite that bad, it could not pull 6 cars up a 4% grade. I've heard that it could pull 25 to 30 cars on level track.

There is rumor here of either LL or a 3rd party producing a driver wheel w traction tires. Until that wheel is available, another option I read in an old book is, to paint the tread of the last driver. The paint will act like a traction tire.
  13. garyn

garyn Member

I dunno Mark. I did a long search and could not find a dealer that is selling the LL mallet for $150. Can you put me in touch with your LHS?